There used to be a time when people looked up the bulky Yellow Pages when they wanted to find a business selling certain products or services. Today it’s rare to see someone scanning the pages of a voluminous directory in a telephone booth. People just search on Google, and mainly with their mobile phones. That’s why it is essential to add your location on Google Maps.
Prospects and customers will turn to Google to look for your business. Make sure they find you.
It’s easy to add your business location, contact numbers and other details using the add location on Google Map feature. Also, it won’t cost you anything.
First things first
Before we get to the “how to” part, the first thing you should do is get a Google account. This is different from the regular Gmail account you might be using for your personal email.
Google offers several services for business. You must get a Google account before you can add your business location on Google Maps.
Hands-on: a step-by-step guide
To use the add location on Google Map feature, simply follow these directions.
- Point your web browser to the site business.google.com.
- Sign in to your Google Account by either choosing the account name (if it was saved earlier) or by typing your existing Gmail address. Click “Next.”
- Enter your password and click “Next.”
Find your Google My Business listing
Next, you’ll want to create a listing or claim your business listing, if it’s already there.
- Click the Google Apps icon (you’ll find it next to your profile photo or logo, top right of the screen).
- Click on the “My Business” app.
- Enter your business name and be sure it matches the registered name of your business, as listed on your business website and business cards. Click “Next.”
The following prompt appears: “Do you want to add a location customers can visit, like a store or office?”
- If so, click “Yes” and “Next.”
- Specify your country and address for business correspondence. Be sure to fill in all the fields (state, pin code, etc).
- Check the address details and verify the pin code. Click “Next.”
Pinpoint your business location
Now for the details.
- A map will be shown with a balloon marker indicating the approximate location of your business.
- Use the +/- buttons to zoom in and out of the map, looking for some familiar landmarks near your location. Tip: If you make a mistake, click Reset and start over.
- Point at the red location marker and drag it to the exact point of your business location.
- Once the location marker is on your exact location, you can move to the next step by clicking “Next.”
You should see a prompt that says, “Do you also serve customers outside this location?”
If you have branches or other office locations, then respond with a “Yes.” Specify additional locations in the same way you specified your primary business address earlier. Click “Next.”
Choose a category for your business
Next, specify a category that best describes your business. Categories are general descriptions such as Marketing and Sales, Financial Services, Manufacturing, Teaching, etc.
- Choose among the autocomplete options carefully, selecting the category that is the nearest match to your business. Click “Next.”
- On the next screen, you will be asked to enter your contact details and website address. Tips: Add the country code prefix before your phone number. Begin the web address with http:// or https://
- Click “Next” and “Finish.”
In this screen you will be asked to verify your phone number by call or text. Choose a suitable option and follow the instructions on screen.
Complete your listing
There are a few more details that you need to specify to complete your listing for the add location on Google Map service. By mentioning these additional details, your customer will know a bit more about your business including your working hours.
It’s good to add photos of your office, your products and perhaps your business logo.
- Fill in other details like hours, business description and opening date. These details will make it easier for your customers to find your business from the street.
- The “Info” screen shows you the status of your listing. Notice that it now says “Pending review.”
- Log in after three days and check the status again in the “Info” section.
It will take up to three working days for the Google team to validate all your details, and only then will your business be listed on Google Maps. Look out for an email from Google that informs you about this.
You can then search for your own business on Google and see what details appear. This is what your customers and prospects will see when they search for your business location on Google.
Of course, you can edit these details at any time by signing in to your account on business.google.com. Be sure to keep these details up-to-date, including special hours for holidays.
Add your location on Google Maps — it’s easy and free
Now that you have added your location and business details to Google Map, you can expect more people to call or visit you.
Your business is so much easier to find now, and people will look you up on Google Maps. People will also find your business in the search listings when they look for specific products or services that are similar to your offerings.
Once your listing is confirmed, search for your business on Google Maps and copy the link in your browser bar at the top of the screen. Then paste it into an email or text message you can send whenever someone is about to visit your office.
Editor’s note: Don’t have a website yet? Get one quickly with WordPress Websites. A website will provide more complete information to customers than a Google My Business listing alone.