• Advice on Improving Your Website
  • Advice on Improving Your Website

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

How do I make my website more stylish?

Please check it out. I am an artist and I am struggling how to make it have more impact. Thanks

www.karinhepburn.com

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User II

@karin20

What beautiful colorful paintings! 😉

I'm guessing you are on W+M?   With that comes the fact you are relegated only to the options available to you.   Not sure you have the ability to create more impact being you do not have access to many of the elements that would contribute to that.

Your paintings are so colorful that the white backdrop does not take away from them -- so that's a good thing.   I'm a minimalist and when it comes to many of the artists I've worked with, when it comes to their websites, less is more so that the artwork takes center stage.  Maybe try different themes to see if the way they showcase your artwork makes a difference?

What makes a website impactful are the images and then creating a consistent set of elements that back that up.  Things like a color palette and accents (headings, elements, buttons) and font choices.   

A few things I did notice:

=> You don't have any description for your prints.  I would use this an opportunity to tell the story of the print, including the color palette and why those colors.  Why you painted it, where/what it is -- you get the idea!

=> While you have small or medium sizes available -- what are those sizes exactly?

=> Are you really shipping to all those countries?  I noticed we do not have a page that discusses our shipping, rates and locations.  Not knowing shipping is one of the primary reasons carts are abandoned.  So you want to be upfront and provide as much information as possible.

=> The Iconic Landmarks slider runs off the page and requires horizontal scrolling.  I would remedy that.

=> No about you page?  Create a page and talk about why you paint and where you find inspiration.  Let your site visitors get to know you!   

=> Removing any widget or area that is not complete or states "coming soon."  Until you are ready with all the appropriate info, it's best to leave it off the site entirely.

=> I noticed that paintsandsipuk.com has expired.  Is that you too?  It is now up for auction. ;(

=> Use your domain name for your email instead of gmail.  That's how you build your brand.  Replace the gmail address with an @karinhepburn.com address.

HTH!  😉

Judith
    "Actually, you can." ~ Anon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
    Super User II

@karin20

What beautiful colorful paintings! 😉

I'm guessing you are on W+M?   With that comes the fact you are relegated only to the options available to you.   Not sure you have the ability to create more impact being you do not have access to many of the elements that would contribute to that.

Your paintings are so colorful that the white backdrop does not take away from them -- so that's a good thing.   I'm a minimalist and when it comes to many of the artists I've worked with, when it comes to their websites, less is more so that the artwork takes center stage.  Maybe try different themes to see if the way they showcase your artwork makes a difference?

What makes a website impactful are the images and then creating a consistent set of elements that back that up.  Things like a color palette and accents (headings, elements, buttons) and font choices.   

A few things I did notice:

=> You don't have any description for your prints.  I would use this an opportunity to tell the story of the print, including the color palette and why those colors.  Why you painted it, where/what it is -- you get the idea!

=> While you have small or medium sizes available -- what are those sizes exactly?

=> Are you really shipping to all those countries?  I noticed we do not have a page that discusses our shipping, rates and locations.  Not knowing shipping is one of the primary reasons carts are abandoned.  So you want to be upfront and provide as much information as possible.

=> The Iconic Landmarks slider runs off the page and requires horizontal scrolling.  I would remedy that.

=> No about you page?  Create a page and talk about why you paint and where you find inspiration.  Let your site visitors get to know you!   

=> Removing any widget or area that is not complete or states "coming soon."  Until you are ready with all the appropriate info, it's best to leave it off the site entirely.

=> I noticed that paintsandsipuk.com has expired.  Is that you too?  It is now up for auction. ;(

=> Use your domain name for your email instead of gmail.  That's how you build your brand.  Replace the gmail address with an @karinhepburn.com address.

HTH!  😉

Judith

View solution in original post

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my paintings and website. That is quite an in depth list of feedback ! I really appreciate the time you have taken to reply! I shall get on it! ❤️Yeah I think my templates are holding me back but it is only a platform to showcase what I do. I have tested positive for Covid 19 so I’m starting to feel better and will try and make way with some improvements in the next few days with more work on my website.

Where are you messaging from ? I live in Glasgow, Scotland.

Thanks a million
    Karin

Sent from my iPhone

@karin20 

You are very welcome!  Glad to help -- come back if you have any follow-up questions, okay?

With W+M you can change themes/templates pretty easy.  Here's how.  You may find something that you can envision using that allows you to better showcase your art work.   Under Themes you can play with your primary color and fonts -- maybe trying different things there may help.

So good to hear you are feeling better!  I am in the middle of the USA -- known as the Mid-South.  😉

Judith