• GoDaddy Community
  • Advice on Improving Your Website
  • Advice on Improving Your Website

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

godaddy hosted site hacked - how easy to get hacked?

i paid a company to build a website for me, they suggested godaddy and built the website using wordpress; finally it got built, but now it keeps getting hacked and they keep wanting to charge me to fix it. It got fixed once and then got hacked yet again.

I need to know from someone with more knowledge, how easy it is to get hacked? - my gut feeling is there maybe some fabrication of the truth here in order to generate more revenue to fix it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User II

@ivoryard 

No fabrication of the truth.  If you don't take the appropriate precautions -- you'll get hacked. 

Here are some basics:

=> Remove the default username of "admin" -- hackers target that.

=> On all my sites I use the WordFence plugin.  This will help to scan, protect and keep tabs on your site.

=> Stay away from free themes.

=> Only add plugins that have been tested with the latest version of WordPress and have strong reviews.

=> When updates for WordPress, your theme and plugins are released -- update them. Updates always tend to include security hardening.

HTH! 😉

Judith
    "Actually, you can." ~ Anon

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
    Super User II

@ivoryard 

No fabrication of the truth.  If you don't take the appropriate precautions -- you'll get hacked. 

Here are some basics:

=> Remove the default username of "admin" -- hackers target that.

=> On all my sites I use the WordFence plugin.  This will help to scan, protect and keep tabs on your site.

=> Stay away from free themes.

=> Only add plugins that have been tested with the latest version of WordPress and have strong reviews.

=> When updates for WordPress, your theme and plugins are released -- update them. Updates always tend to include security hardening.

HTH! 😉

Judith
    "Actually, you can." ~ Anon

View solution in original post