cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Forward domain traffic to a ddns address?

Hello, I thought this might be the easiest way to make the transfer to an apache2 home server running wordpress, but looks like i'm wrong and it doesn't work. I then wanted to set it up the normal way without forwarding, but godaddy recommended this first before changing nameservers (i'm not sure if this is what i'd have to do either), although i need my domain to find my ddns/ip? I could of course pay for a hosting service (which i probably will later on), but thought i'd try this first.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just close this thread, I've decided the easiest way will be a dedicated host provider. Thanks for the replies. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User IV

@jonny1 

You should be able to just update the main @ A record - but you'd also need to adjust your home network configuration to allow traffic to your internal IP address - this would be at your router / modem level.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks for replying, 

It won't let me save anything other than an IP address where it "points to"?

My router is already allowing traffic, so should be fine there. 

@jonny1 

That is correct you should point that to your public IP address. If you google for what's my ip - it should give you the IPv4 address - most providers give you an IP that you keep unless you change devices. If you IP does change more frequently you'd need to use a service like no-ip.com where they install a utility on your computer to dynamically update the DNS if your IP changes

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I do have a dynamic IP address, hence the ddns from no-IP. Even if I input the actual ip address, I just get diverted back to go daddy's website.

I can access the WordPress site I made via my ddns link. So I know it's accessible outside my router. 

Just close this thread, I've decided the easiest way will be a dedicated host provider. Thanks for the replies. 

View solution in original post