cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

New Website Name

Hello, 

I'm not the most savvy when it comes to these things, so I need crystal clear instructions please😂

I have a domain registered with GoDaddy for my blog here - https://www.spilling-the-beans.co.uk/

However, I would actually like to change the name of my blog. How would I do this? Do I need to purchase a new domain name, and then cancel the subscription for the one I have right now? And what does the transfer process entail? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks - Jabeen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User II

@Jabstar89 

In looking at your site it is on Blogger/BlogSpot, right?   I'm not familiar with their setup to know if you can easily swap out site names and domains.  So, I'll just provide some generalities based on what I would do.  😉

=>  If you are keeping your content but just changing name of the site, I would see what options there are with Blogger/BlogSpot.  It may just be a matter of changing the title in the dashboard for your actual homepage within the dashboard.

=> Changing a domain is not a big deal -- again depending on what platform you are on would dictate what is involved.   Your host should be able to help you with this.  Then, you would need to manually change all the internal URLs (within your content and image URLs) to the new domain.

=> Purchase your new domain.  Then, as far as your current domain, turn auto-renew off if you no longer want to use it.   When the renewal date arrives, it will not renew. 

=> If you are staying with Blogger/BlogSpot there is no transfer process.  You would just need to change the new domain's default nameservers to those provided by your current host.

Does that help? 😉

Judith
"Be a voice. Not an echo." ~ Anon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II

@Jabstar89 

In looking at your site it is on Blogger/BlogSpot, right?   I'm not familiar with their setup to know if you can easily swap out site names and domains.  So, I'll just provide some generalities based on what I would do.  😉

=>  If you are keeping your content but just changing name of the site, I would see what options there are with Blogger/BlogSpot.  It may just be a matter of changing the title in the dashboard for your actual homepage within the dashboard.

=> Changing a domain is not a big deal -- again depending on what platform you are on would dictate what is involved.   Your host should be able to help you with this.  Then, you would need to manually change all the internal URLs (within your content and image URLs) to the new domain.

=> Purchase your new domain.  Then, as far as your current domain, turn auto-renew off if you no longer want to use it.   When the renewal date arrives, it will not renew. 

=> If you are staying with Blogger/BlogSpot there is no transfer process.  You would just need to change the new domain's default nameservers to those provided by your current host.

Does that help? 😉

Judith
"Be a voice. Not an echo." ~ Anon

View solution in original post

Thank you- this is all super helpful! 🙂