cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Problem transferring a domain from one GoDaddy account to another

Hello,

I am assisting a client in a domain transfer. The owners of the GoDaddy account that currently owns the domain have sent us an authorization code. I followed the instructions, but when I enter the domain to transfer, it says that it's already a GoDaddy domain and does not allow me to enter the auth code. Can you please tell me where to enter the auth code for this, since the normal instructions do not work? I looked at the instructions for transferring between GoDaddy accounts, but those instructions assume that the recipient and sender are both the same person or that the recipient is able to log into the senders account, so that does not apply to us.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@jenvander 

Given that you are transferring between GoDaddy accounts the process is different

1) You need to get a refund for the transfer you purchased

2) You will need to provide your GoDaddy customer number and email to the person transferring the domain to you. They will then do an "Account Change" via the domain manager.

You should ask them to select the option to leave the contact information the same. You will then get an email asking you to log in and accept the transfer. I suggest when it asks you to review the WHOIS information you leave it as is. Once the domain has transferred into your account, you can update the WHOIS.

The reason for this order of steps is that if you update the WHOIS during the account change, it must be verified on both the sending / receiving side before the account change will complete.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User IV

@jenvander 

Given that you are transferring between GoDaddy accounts the process is different

1) You need to get a refund for the transfer you purchased

2) You will need to provide your GoDaddy customer number and email to the person transferring the domain to you. They will then do an "Account Change" via the domain manager.

You should ask them to select the option to leave the contact information the same. You will then get an email asking you to log in and accept the transfer. I suggest when it asks you to review the WHOIS information you leave it as is. Once the domain has transferred into your account, you can update the WHOIS.

The reason for this order of steps is that if you update the WHOIS during the account change, it must be verified on both the sending / receiving side before the account change will complete.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post