cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Recover Domain Name from Former Staff

A former staff saddled with managing my company's domain name has refused to return same back to our care for malicious reasons. Domain name is expiring soon and without access to the domain's account, we can't update the payment meaning we risk losing it as a result of this.

I have the following proofs that the former staff is not the owner
1. Email correspondence promising to return the domain name but didn't.
2. Official letter terminating appointment
3. I control the domain's nameserver and can show proof I own it through DNS record updates etc.
Please can you advise on the best way to go about this recovery?
Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User IV

@Bokkos 

I suggest following the steps here

https://www.godaddy.com/help/regain-access-to-my-domain-or-my-account-4043

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Hi @Bokkos,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm guessing that your name is not on the account with the domain, nor do you have access to that account. None of the items you list in your post will allow GoDaddy to move the domain to you, per ICANN rules. There are several ways in which you can recover the domain here. 

If you, or your business are listed as the registrant on the domain, you can go to http://www.changeupdate.com to request the domain be moved to an account for which you have control. 

If you are NOT the registrant, you will need to use one of the following options:

1.) Trying to resolve the issue directly with the current registrant. You should be able to find the contact information in the WHOIS directory.

2.) Consulting an ICANN-approved arbitrator. Please review this link:

3.) Providing your legal counsel this link for information about submitting legal documents to GoDaddy,

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

3 REPLIES 3
Super User IV

@Bokkos 

I suggest following the steps here

https://www.godaddy.com/help/regain-access-to-my-domain-or-my-account-4043

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hi @Bokkos,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm guessing that your name is not on the account with the domain, nor do you have access to that account. None of the items you list in your post will allow GoDaddy to move the domain to you, per ICANN rules. There are several ways in which you can recover the domain here. 

If you, or your business are listed as the registrant on the domain, you can go to http://www.changeupdate.com to request the domain be moved to an account for which you have control. 

If you are NOT the registrant, you will need to use one of the following options:

1.) Trying to resolve the issue directly with the current registrant. You should be able to find the contact information in the WHOIS directory.

2.) Consulting an ICANN-approved arbitrator. Please review this link:

3.) Providing your legal counsel this link for information about submitting legal documents to GoDaddy,

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

Thank you for this @TLH, I appreciate it all. I would like to ask, would it be possible for me to bypass the rogue user and make payment to the domain to keep it alive while we initiate the process to recover the domain access?