cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Transfer Domain

Hello Everyone.

I just bought a domain for the next 2 years. I am about to start creating my website through Squarespace and wanted to transfer the domain over to Squarespace as well. The problem is that I have just realised that I can not do this for 60 days!!! Is there any way around this so that I can just do the transfer right away? I was hoping to have my website all ready to go at least within the next 2-3 weeks and do not really want to have to wait 60 days before I can transfer the domain. If I was to cancel the domain with GoDaddy, would I then be able to purchase the same one through Squarespace or would that Domain still be blocked for the 2 years I bought it for? Any help/advice would be really appreciated as this is all new to me...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Manager

Hi nickschwizer,

There's no way around the 60 day hold, since it's a regulation imposed on all registrars (like GoDaddy) to protect domain owners from fraudulent transfers. Trying to cancel & repurchase the domain registration puts you at risk of losing the domain if someone else happens to register it before you re-register. It would basically leave your domain up for grabs for a short time.

However, you don't need the domain to be registered through Squarespace to connect it to your website there. You can use these steps to connect it even while it's still registered at GoDaddy: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206541747-Connecting-a-GoDaddy-domain-to-your-Squa... That way, you don't have to wait until you move the domain registration to get your site up.

My advice is to follow the steps in the link above to get your website live, then transfer the domain registration to Squarespace once it's past 60 days. Transferring is much safer, and you keep the registration time you already purchased here (it moves with the domain to Squarespace). 

Angela B - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Community Manager

Hi nickschwizer,

There's no way around the 60 day hold, since it's a regulation imposed on all registrars (like GoDaddy) to protect domain owners from fraudulent transfers. Trying to cancel & repurchase the domain registration puts you at risk of losing the domain if someone else happens to register it before you re-register. It would basically leave your domain up for grabs for a short time.

However, you don't need the domain to be registered through Squarespace to connect it to your website there. You can use these steps to connect it even while it's still registered at GoDaddy: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206541747-Connecting-a-GoDaddy-domain-to-your-Squa... That way, you don't have to wait until you move the domain registration to get your site up.

My advice is to follow the steps in the link above to get your website live, then transfer the domain registration to Squarespace once it's past 60 days. Transferring is much safer, and you keep the registration time you already purchased here (it moves with the domain to Squarespace). 

Angela B - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post