cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Transferred domain to GoDaddy and Website is now gone

Hello,

I transferred my website to GoDaddy this week and now my website is completely gone.  Any ideas on what can be done?

Regards,

Jason

8 REPLIES 8
Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Re: Transferred domain to GoDaddy and Website is now gone

Hi @brinkofsanity,

Wow!!  Can you give us a bit more information about what you mean by "gone"?  I certainly can understand not displaying, but can you login to your hosting via FTP?  Is you domain coming up as parked?  Perhaps a 404 or 301 error?

Will be glad to take a look.

Hope we can help,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

The website is showing as parked.  I can't log into anything, it seems like my site is a blank slate now.  The site is brinkofsanityshow.com.

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

What kind of hosting account do you have?  

James

I see what happened, I'm not too experienced with this stuff.  I switched my domain over to GoDaddy, but my hosting account is still with SiteGround.  Is there a way to switch my hosting over to GoDaddy, and to effectively move my site over?

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I
Solution

Sure!  Is it an html/php site, wordpress-based, in a sitebuilder type application?  Basically, it will come down to making a set of structured backups.  If it is an html site I do a transfer via download old site, beginning at the root, ftp upload to new site.  In Dreamweaver you could accomplish this by creating/downloading your site, then changing your server settings and "syncing" to the new server.

If your html/php site has a database connected to store data you must get a backup of this database.  Many, many people overlook this and end up losing form data in particular.

If it is WordPress based, plugins work great. 1 - Call to get a GoDaddy managed wp hosting account and ask your rep to "begin a migration".  Have your WP credentials handy along with FTP information.  They'll take care of the rest.  Also check out the GoDaddy Plugin Partners page for Updraft Plus and Backup Buddy.  Both have excellent migration tools.

For sites that are sitebuiler based you'll need to look as some of that particular builders export capabilities.  For something like Wix, its not an easy export from there and into a new platform.  You might have to do some copy/paste and make sure the paste is "unformatted." 

Let me know what else we can do!  Also, do not forget your email!  If you are moving email services be sure to login to your email/webmail server and export any messages and contacts you want to move to your new hosting plans.  Depending on what client you use, the procedures for maintaining email continuity will vary.  For example, if everything is already archived in a Microsoft Office local installation, the continuity is maintained there. 

Hope this helps,

James

Re: Transferred new site from wix to godaddy how to

How do or can transfer a website from one host to godaddy

Keeping Website After Domain Transfer?

Hello,

I would like to know before I dish out the cash if I can keep the forums from my forum-based website vovilliacorp.com when I do a domain Transfer to GoDaddy?

It's been a round for a decade and my current webhost has been negligent to growing problems with uptime and several server problems that they have been trying to fix for months now with little or no interaction with me whatsoever, but I would hate to lose everything that my forums has, there are many reasons why I want to be able to keep the forums.

Re: Keeping Website After Domain Transfer?

Hey @vovillia,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Yes, it is possible to transfer a domain to our services while keeping your existing site running (if you're current hosting provider allows this). Generally you just need to specify during the transfer purchase to keep the current DNS settings your domain is already pointed to. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support