cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Transferring domain from Registrar to current Host

Hello. I came in to my position several years ago to discover that we had about twenty domains hosted on three different providers and registered across 3-4 different registrars. In the intervening years, I have consolidated every active domain and registration to a single host/registrar - Dreamhost - with one notable exception - our primary corporate domain (main website, e-mail, etc.) It is HOSTED on Dreamhost with everything else, but the registration has remained with a separate company. The only thing on that account is this registration, with it's nameservers pointed to Dreamhost.

It's time to update our website and, in this process, I would like to go ahead and finish this consolidation proces and get our primary domain transferred to Dreamhost. My question is, should I expect any sort of downtime - particularly with e-mail! - transferring this domain? As I said, it is already HOSTED at Dreamhost, so the DNS records there are already set, etc... it's just the domain registration I need to get moved over.

Would appreciate any insight into this matter. I really can't afford much if any e-mail downtime, but obviously I'll have to do this over a weekend if possible, regardless.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @relindwto6,

Welcome to the Community!

If a domain is transferring out of GoDaddy, it can usually be done with no downtime, and in a matter of hours. Unless it is deemed a high-value domain, GoDaddy accounts have the ability to simply click to approve the transfer away, once the request is made through the Registry. If the domain is a CCTLD, there may be extra steps involved, but you can use these instructions for most domains (like .COM, .NET, .ORG, etc.) 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @relindwto6,

Welcome to the Community!

If a domain is transferring out of GoDaddy, it can usually be done with no downtime, and in a matter of hours. Unless it is deemed a high-value domain, GoDaddy accounts have the ability to simply click to approve the transfer away, once the request is made through the Registry. If the domain is a CCTLD, there may be extra steps involved, but you can use these instructions for most domains (like .COM, .NET, .ORG, etc.) 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post