cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Problem with Hosting Migration

I am trying to transfer my websites and email accounts from Hostgator Hosting to Godaddy Hosting, I have already restored my website files, but I do not know how and where to update the Record and DNS in order to keep my email accounts the same and working as always. I know how to change nameserver in Hostgator, and I know I should add the Record before updating the nameserver, but where exactly should I add the Record? Should I add the Record in Hostgator Cpanel or in Godaddy Cpanel?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@yueh 

I would add the domain to GoDaddy as an offsite dns - this way regardless of where you have the domain registered you don't have to worry about it - and/or transfer the registration to GoDaddy as well

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User IV

@yueh 

I am assuming you are using the GoDaddy DNS - so therefore you would add it to https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/YOURDOMAIN.COM/dns

I recommend setting up an A record for mail which is the same as your cPanel IP - then set your MX record to mail.YOURDOMAIN.COM

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned my domain is now hosted by Hostgator. So I should just add the Record in Hostgator Cpanel?

@yueh 

I would add the domain to GoDaddy as an offsite dns - this way regardless of where you have the domain registered you don't have to worry about it - and/or transfer the registration to GoDaddy as well

View solution in original post

Got it! Thank you!