• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Creating 'www' Redirect in Managed WordPress

Hope someone can help with the answer. I have for the last week been trying to get a new domain care4it.com.au to work with www in front. I only setup the domain last saturday and created a wordpress website through godaddy. I can get to the website without the www but get a 404 error if I put the www infront, after 8 phone calls to godaddy support I am no closer to getting it fixed.

If I check whatsmydns I am seeing about 5 different ip addresses making the rounds on the internet, these have been the same ip addresses all week, but have never seen the correct ip address get used yet. I am pretty sure this would mean it is an issue with the dns setting but if so why are godaddy support unable to fix it?

These are the DNS settings if that helps at all, any advise would be appreciated as I am pretty new to all this.dns settings.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II
    Solution

Re: Settings for dns

@Steveb2

Try redirecting the www to the non-www in your .htaccess file.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.yourdomain.com [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://yourdomain.com/$1 [L,R=301]

The above will send all www requests to non-www.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for the reply, 

No I haven't, where do I go to modify the file? Sorry I am very new to this, having a bit of a crash course atm. 

Sounds like this could be a work around but why wouldn't the ip address propagate for the www.

Seems I have somewhat fixed it, I noticed there was a second A record in the zone file that I removed as a test and now the dns is propagating correctly. I can also get to my website from the www, however on my dns management page on godaddy i am now getting 

Your account setup can't finish without your help
    We can't automatically update your domain's DNS.
    As all seems to be working now so should I worry about this?

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

@Steveb2

I have never received an error message like that so don't know what "help" you are supposed to provide to complete the process. Smiley Sad

Maybe wait a couple hours for the A record removal to propagate.  Then go back in and review your DNS and make sure that there are no other straggling DNS records that do not apply to your current setup.

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt