• GoDaddy Community
  • Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Managed WordPress site is still running 4.6.1

I've been waiting a week for my managed WordPress site to be updated to WP version 4.7.  I finally contacted GoDaddy support through chat and was told that my site will not be updated to 4.7 until Godaddy determined it was safe. Once that happens, it will be updated within 24 hours. 

Is this the norm? When I went with a managed account, I thought it would be actually managed. 

14 REPLIES 14
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

Re: Managed WordPress site is still running 4.6.1

I was just thinking the same thing today... While it is wise to always wait a bit in case there are any unexpected bugs, other truly "Managed WordPress" hosts that I use have already updated.  So I'm sure it is "safe" to upgrade.  Not sure why it would take so long.  The Network Status page did reflect there were issues yesterday which had my sites down -- maybe that is part of the delay?

GD's Managed WordPress hosting is their own definition of this type of service and is very basic.  What is cool though is they are working on improving and evolving this platform and I'm optimistic there will be good things ahead.

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

I called godaddy today due to horrific performance over the past two weeks.  It sounded like they struggling with hardware, 4.7 and performance.  Nothing they could do to even address my problems.  Pages takes about 30 to 45 seconds to load.

I haven't seen great things yet, and history is the best indicator of the future.  There are lots of other alternatives out there, will start exploring alternatives tomorrow.

New

Hello All,

Any news on WP - 4.7 ?  I need to install Themes/plugins that need 4.7?

Very frustrating?

Product Team
    Product Team

@RickRottman @Muse @WeddingGuy @BATS

Hey folks.  WordPress 4.7 dropped during our rollout of Redis and PHP 5.6 to all customers, so that's why you're seeing the delay.

Redis/PHP 5.6 are complete in 2/3 of our data centers.  For those that are still in progress, there was a bug in WordPress 4.7 that caused issues with certain caching solutions, we were testing a solution to resolve the issue until the core team can roll out a patch.

With those issues resolved, we've resumed the upgrade backfill process and are aiming to finish by the end of the week.

That may have been more detailed that desired, but I wanted to be transparent with you guys on what's going on.  I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Head of WordPress, GoDaddy

@Gabe it certainly does help and I appreciate the update!  

I was one day away from starting an emergency port to a competitor.  I'll ride it out through the upgrade.  Appreciate the transparency. 

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

@Gabe    PHP 5.6!  Outstanding!

Thanks for the update -- can't be too detailed as far as I'm concerned. Smiley Wink

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

New

Hello @Gabe

Thanks for the update. Any news on this. Your post says "Wednesday", I assume this was the 14th? 

I am writing on Monday 19th.

Pretty desperate to get upgrade.

Any news appreciated.

New

After the update is anyone else having the issue of trying to go to the dashboard only to see 

No Update Required

Your WordPress database is already up-to-date!

With a CONTINUE button, but it just reloads the front page of my website. I hit dashboard again, and same thing.. is this common? How long until I can actually get into my dashboard?

EDIT: Problem was corrected. There was a caching issue and the cache had to be manually removed. I was on the phone with support for >1 hour but both were very helpful and cordial. I think GD is just busy with call-ins. Thanks support for the help!

Product Team
    Product Team

@BATS Good question, I'm happy to provide an update.  All our datacenters except one is fully upgraded to WordPress 4.7.  The last datacenter has about 150,000 sites left to be upgrade and this should finish up by late tomorrow.

Things are moving slower than normal because we're still implementing the platform upgrades to our infrastructure, so we appreciate the patience.  Happy holidays!

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    New

Hello @Gabe,

Thanks for the update. I do appreciate that things don't always go to plan.

It is Tues Dec 20th - 12:12pm here in Vict, Aust and it appears that the updates have propagated to both my Production and Staging sites, I now see 4.7.0 in the settings.

However, I also note Plugin & Theme status is unavailable due to site customisations updates dialogue. Is this part of the update? This was not previously showing?

Regards

Product Team
    Product Team

Hey folks, just providing an update to say that the 4.7 update was completed last night.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Product Team
    Product Team

@BATS 

Re: seeing "Plugin & Theme status is unavailable due to site customizations"

It seems to be an issue with a plugin/script blocking the API or a permissions issue--it only happens on certain sites.  Let me know the URL of the site you're having issues with and I can have the team take a look.  Please tag me so I see the update.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    New

Hello @Gabe Thanks. Our site is bats.net.au I also note that when trying to move/sync from staging to production today, the "staging setup in progress" indicator has been stuck at 60% for almost two hours? Cheers
    Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @BATS,

Re: seeing "Plugin & Theme status is unavailable due to site customizations"

This was an odd issue with the update API being blocked for a subset of sites and should now be resolved.

The staging sync issue was another odd one where an issue in another part of the network stalled those events.  All should be resolved now--sorry about that.

In situations like these continue to contact support since they're available 24/7 and will alert the dev team to resolve issues.  Feel free to tag me for any general questions on roadmap, etc.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays