cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Configuring a sub-domain with Cloudflare

Hello!

I am intending to use Cloudflare with a domain that I own. I would like to test it out on a single subdomain, wp.<mydomain.com>, before doing the big move with the whole domain.

In order to do that, I have set up the name servers of the sub-domain to the ones that Cloudflare indicated, by adding the 2 last lines shown below :

DNS NS records.png

I thought that it would be enough, but after I contacted Cloudflare they told me :

You must point your authoritative nameservers to Cloudflare, this will delegate your DNS configuration to Cloudflare. It is not sufficient to simply set NS DNS records for Cloudflare; you must set your authoritative nameservers with your domain registrar.

How can I do that? I saw the following section on the DNS page that seems to correspond to what "authoritative nameservers" are :

Nameservers.png

But I'm afraid to change these because as far as I understand it would modify the nameservers for the whole domain, and not just for the subdomain. Is there a way to change the authoritative nameservers of a single subdomain?

Regards,

Bruno

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Configuring a sub-domain with Cloudflare

Bperel you won't have any problem even when you change your nameservers to cloudflare nameservers, I can attest to that, I am also using cloudflare on one of my godaddy domains (www.shootoutnow.com) the only problem is that you can't manage your domain DNS afterwards on godaddy but you can equally manage it on cloudflare.

Solution

Re: Configuring a sub-domain with Cloudflare

Hi @bperel,

Welcome to the Community!

While you can create a subdomain in your DNS and direct it to a different IP address, you can't create a separate nameserver as your screenshot shows. You will need to change the nameserver as the other response indicates, and may use the instructions here. Please allow 24-48 hours for the new DNS information to propagate globally. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support