cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

DNS Off Site not working

Hello,

We have a domain name registered with another registrar. I have set up offsite DNS for that domain under account at GoDaddy. I have copied in all of our DNS records. When I try to do an NS lookup against what GoDaddy says is our name server, ns33.domaincontrol.com,  nothing is returned. It has been several weeks since I set this up. We would to propagate GoDaddy out as our backup DNS but do not know why DNS is not working?

Thanks for any suggestions!

~jake

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JakeKane,

We're sorry if you were misinformed. The instructions here will show you how to setup DNS hosting (off-site). There are even transfer advisories. You don't need to be hosting at GoDaddy, as a simple change of nameserver would accomplish that task, if you were. Certain domains (IDNs in particular) are not able to use this feature. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User IV

@JacobKane 

What is your domain name?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

PL281,

Our domain is sbschools.net

After speaking with Tech support I found out that you can't use offsite DNS unless you have a website hosted with GoDaddy. 

We are in the process of transferring our domain to GoDaddy and I wanted to get DNS set up and propagating before transfer was complete. 

So to be clear if you do not have your domain or a website hosted with GoDaddy DNS will not work. You can set up off site DNS but none of the DNS records you create will propagate to GoDaddy NS servers or the world.  

Hi @JakeKane,

We're sorry if you were misinformed. The instructions here will show you how to setup DNS hosting (off-site). There are even transfer advisories. You don't need to be hosting at GoDaddy, as a simple change of nameserver would accomplish that task, if you were. Certain domains (IDNs in particular) are not able to use this feature. 

View solution in original post

@TLH,

I set up off-site DNS hosting using those instructions over a month ago. When I added GoDaddy name servers to my current registrar, and waited for them to propagate, none of my records were being handed out by GoDaddy. Dig, MXtoolbox, etc all showed that my name servers were GoDaddy's but none of the A, CNAME, MX records I had created would resolve. 

After speaking with Level1 & Level2 at GoDaddy support via phone they told me that DNS records, for off-site DNS, wont work without hosting on GoDaddy.

Even now if I do an nslookup and specify the GoDaddy name servers listed for me pdns03.domaincontrol.com or pdns04.domaincontrol.com I can't resolve any of the DNS records I have create for my domain.

We are in the process of transferring or Domain sbschools.net to GoDaddy now. 

~jake

Hi @JacobKanem,

You are not able to use Premium DNS in order to create off-site nameservers. The action of setting up the DNS will provide you with the nameservers you will need to use on the domain.