cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain prices are too high

I like the customer service at GoDaddy, but I can not justify paying so much more for my domains because of it.

I did not want to transfer away my domains, but I would have spent hundreds of dollars more if I had kept them at GD.

As for offering me membership of the discount domain club, I for one will never pay money to save money. Why don't you just make membership free for people with lots of domains instead of this nonsense?

Goodbye GoDaddy 

4 REPLIES 4
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Domain prices are too high

Hey there @MedveMedal,

I understand the frustration but I think it comes from a place of misunderstanding. GoDaddy and other domain registrars don't set the pricing for domains. Those are set by an organization called ICANN. Yes, there is a bit of a markup on the base price in order for the registrars to make a bit of profit but it's negligible. Most of the profit is made from quantity of sales. 

Many companies offer low intro rates for domains because they know they can make up for it during renewal time. They take a loss to gain customers. Some offer domains for "free" but they bake the cost into the hosting platform or some sort of service.

As far as the Discount Domain Club goes, the fee is to cover the overall loss of profit. Depending on the number of domains you own, you may end up paying a fee for the club but then be able to save several hundred dollars a year in registration fees. It's not a scam. It's just a service that they offer. It's entirely up to you to use it or not but it absolutely saves money if you have a lot of domains. 

As a business, it's their job to provide worthwhile services and make money. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to pay the people that do all the work on the back end. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Dear Joe

Thanks for your reply. You cannot hide behind the normal excuse of ICANN setting the rates and there is not much left to play with, this is absolute spin! You are offering discounts of up to 40% to the members of the discount  domain club, even though there is a fee. So, there seems to be a bit more than the negligible amount you mention left in the pot. But still, it would surely make sense to just offer a discount to people who register a certain number of domains without having to subscribe to a paid club. Before I get my violin & tissues out, GoDaddy made $291 million from domain registration according to the your last accounts. Namecheap are considerably cheaper than GoDaddy on renewals. They hold far fewer domains than GoDaddy, are you trying to convince us that they get a better deal from ICANN than GoDaddy? We are just talking about greed here, nothing more, nothing less! But I have chosen to move my domains away from you, I think allot of people will be doing the same in 2019!

Super User III
Super User III

Hey again @MedveMedal,

I can tell how frustrated you are by this, so I'll break it down:

• I am not an employee of GoDaddy nor am I trying to spin their business practices. I'm a person with close to 20 years of experience in webhosting and web design. I'm telling you the truth based on research and experience. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • I have no idea what Namecheap's policies are or their business practices. I can't comment on them. I can say that they are NOT the largest domain registrar in the world for a reason. Move to them and I'm sure you'll find out why.
  • Your acceptance of the information as truth is not required. You're an adult who can make their own decisions. I was just trying to give you perspective. 

Please keep in mind that we're volunteers on here, trying to help people out. We're not spin artists. We're people that use GoDaddy's products and know they work. We understand the value because we've dealt with other hosting companies before. Sure, GoDaddy isn't perfect but there is a reason they have over 17 million customers and it's not because they suck at what they do.

All that being said, you have to do what's right for you and your business. I hoped it help to vent it out. Good luck at Namecheap!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Few problems with GoDaddy and their current policy.

1. What MrVapor said "Please keep in mind that we're volunteers on here", exactly, there were no chat/email whatever available when I wanted to contact customer support, only option is to call. I am not taking a risk that call goes to some 3rd world call center to person who cannot even speak basic english, it would have only annoyed me more. There is no official support here, just volunteers.

2. Prices. I would have liked to continue with GoDaddy, but there were no option to get a discount for my domains/hosting etc. Just some new inflated renewal prices with the attitude "take it or leave it". I chose then to leave it. And, as mentioned, no possiblility to discuss these with customer service.

3. It's only greed, those prices. Why? Because AFTER I made the transfer to another registrant, I received email from GoDaddy which offered those renewals for the discounted price. Fine, sorry GoDaddy, but it was too late.