cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Forwarding www to naked domain - fails at shortener

I've got a situation where I'm trying to forward a subdomain www.domain.com --> https://domain.com

I realize it'd be better to use a CNAME for this, however our hosting provider REQUIRES the hostname to be the naked domain, hence the need to forward.

When the above forward is used, it goes to the GoDaddy Shortner page (https://shortener.godaddy.com/, which is the IP - 184.168.131.241).

This had been working for the past 6 months, when all was setup, but seemed to stop working sometime within the past week. 

Did something change with the GoDaddy Shortner recently, when the specific subdomain of www to the naked domain?

Note that when I use a different subdomain (i.e. testwww.domain.com --> https://domain.com) that works just fine.  Weird.

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Forwarding www to naked domain - fails at shortener

Hi @sigallen. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! About a week ago, we did roll out a change that was intended to fix a different issue with the domain forwarding path that was affecting many users. That's been discussed here. It looks like that change made it so that the WWW subdomain specifically isn't working with the forwarding service. In testing this, I've found that when forwarding is setup using WWW, it tries to forward to whatever the naked domain is forwarded to. If the naked domain isn't using forwarding, then it will load the shortener page, as you've indicated. I've passed this information on to our development team. 

For now, in your situation, you'll probably need to see if you can get a redirect setup with your hosting provider so that requests that come in for www.domain.com get redirected to domain.com. Then, you could just set up a CNAME that points to "@". Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW.  Thank you for the quick reply and acknowledgement that something had changed.  As everyone just thought I had a bad configuration.

Any thoughts on if/when development might resolve this situation with a WWW subdomain?  That seems like it will affect many customers.  I'm guessing there is some reason they are singling out the WWW subdomain?

Thanks again...

Community Manager
Community Manager

@sigallen - Since this is due to a recent change, it's already on our developer's radar. I'm not sure how long it will take to fix, but hopefully, it won't be too long. I'll try to update here once there is more information. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hey @sigallen. This issue should now be addressed. WWW subdomains can now be forwarded to a different URL than the naked domain.