cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

How to manage DNS to point to different web and email servers

Hi,

Could somebody please advise me how to manage the DNS settings here at GoDaddy for my domain to point to different web and email servers.

Both of these servers are at 2 different companies and neither of them is GoDaddy.

I would appreciate a step-by-step guide of what records would need to be changed from GoDaddy's default DNS settings please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: How to manage DNS to point to different web and email servers

@SystemsTrader 

All you should have to do is goto https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/YOURDOMAIN.com/dns and replace the records there with the A record / MX records from your 3rd party providers

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@SystemsTrader 

All you should have to do is goto https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/YOURDOMAIN.com/dns and replace the records there with the A record / MX records from your 3rd party providers

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you very much for your reply PL281.
I notice that the A record already exists by default and that I need to manually add the MX record.
They both also appear to require entry for 'Host' and 'Points to' fields. For the 'Points to' field is it okay to put in server addresses like NS5.LUNARPAGES.COM or will I need to get IP addresses from the 3rd party providers? What would you suggest for the priority field also, please?
As you can tell I am new to this so please excuse my basic questions and thank you once again for helping me with this. Much appreciated!!

Highlighted

Thank you very much for your reply PL281.
I notice that the A record already exists by default and that I need to manually add the MX record.
They both also appear to require entry for 'Host' and 'Points to' fields. For the 'Points to' field is it okay to put in server addresses like NS5.LUNARPAGES.COM or will I need to get IP addresses from the 3rd party providers? What would you suggest for the priority field also, please?
As you can tell I am new to this so please excuse my basic questions and thank you once again for helping me with this. Much appreciated!!

A.jpgMX.jpg

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@SystemsTrader 

NS5.LUNARPAGES.COM is a name server - You should ask them if you can get the IP address or if you need to use their name servers - if you need to use their name servers you would update the name servers at the bottom of the GoDaddy page and than you would give LunarPages your mail records to add

Highlighted

Thank you!

Actually LunarPages will only be hosting the mail server for this domain and the web server will be in Japan. I notice that if I update the name servers at the bottom of the GoDaddy page as you suggested then it is not possible to edit the DNS records from within GoDaddy so does this mean I would then need to update the A record on the name servers with LunarPages to point to my web server host in Japan? Again, thanks for helping me to understand the concepts here (they are clearly new to me, appreciate your patience).

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@SystemsTrader 

That is 100% correct - where ever your name servers are that is where you update the records -

You can leave them at GoDaddy and then set the records the other providers give you - or you can point it to one of the other providers and then adjust the settings there to point to the 3rd