Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Pointing domains to a third-party hosting account

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or what I am doing is not appropriate or acceptable. Kindly assist:

My Situation:

I have a domain name (Domain A) registered with Godaddy and a hosting account (Host A) with a third-party hosting coy. I pointed "Domain A" to "Host A" by editing the Domain nameservers on my Godaddy account. Consequently, users access my website residing on Host A using Domain A (URL).

Now, my client has requested he wants to change the domain name of the website on Host A. Hence, I registered a new Domain (Domain B) with Godaddy and tried pointing it again to the same Host A as I did with Domain A, but I got a notification from Godaddy that my modification failed.

Going forward, I plan to deactivate Domain A because it will not be used anymore.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Pointing domains to a third-party hosting account

Hello @Badru, it seems line once again I get to refer to one of my favorite GoDaddy charts! Check out Manage DNS zone files that usually explains it? A tip that I'll give is that when you are pointing a GoDaddy purchased domain to a host other than GoDaddy it is almost a one shot deal. If you were to type in the wrong IP or some other configuration mistake you would not be able to modify your domain seeing inside GoDaddy once committed. Naturally the domain would now need to be controlled and modified at the host you pointed it to. You can always reset the domain but probably just double check before you commit.  I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User I
Solution

I don't know your particular setup @GoVincent but basically you'd want to change everything but your MX records. In my experience MX records often follow hosting changes. Once you change your hosting and name servers your MX records and DNS would be controlled by the host (where your domain points) and not GoDaddy. You can always modify your MX record at the controlling DNS to whatever email server you'd like. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User I
Solution

Hello @Badru, it seems line once again I get to refer to one of my favorite GoDaddy charts! Check out Manage DNS zone files that usually explains it? A tip that I'll give is that when you are pointing a GoDaddy purchased domain to a host other than GoDaddy it is almost a one shot deal. If you were to type in the wrong IP or some other configuration mistake you would not be able to modify your domain seeing inside GoDaddy once committed. Naturally the domain would now need to be controlled and modified at the host you pointed it to. You can always reset the domain but probably just double check before you commit.  I hope that helps? 

Highlighted

@rd,

but what if  we have email hosted with here and ONLY wish to move website hosting to not use their website builder? Do we only need to change this one entry?

@ WSB Published Site

how do we make sure we allow for both versions, with WWW and without, need 2 entries in your DNS?

So basically, keep your nameservers, just point website to another server.
Do you have a help page for this scenario please?

Highlighted
Super User I
Solution

I don't know your particular setup @GoVincent but basically you'd want to change everything but your MX records. In my experience MX records often follow hosting changes. Once you change your hosting and name servers your MX records and DNS would be controlled by the host (where your domain points) and not GoDaddy. You can always modify your MX record at the controlling DNS to whatever email server you'd like. I hope that helps?