cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Unable to insert IPs when setting Name Servers for specific domain

When setting alternate name servers for a domain, we are now forced to enter IP address(s) alongside the hostname.  This is not normal practice and causes confusion about how GoDaddy will actually set the Name Servers.

Questions/Problems:

Will GoDaddy use the hostname or IP address when it responds to requests?

IP addresses can change which is one of the primary reasons to use a hostname.

What was the reasoning behind this change?  If GoDaddy needs the IP addresses of the name servers, GoDaddy should look them up in DNS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ThycoticIT. Sorry for the delay in addressing this issue. It looks like this was due to an issue on our end, which was corrected a few months ago. If you're still having trouble, please connect with one of our customer care guides so they can take a closer look at the issue and report it to our advanced teams as necessary. 

For what it's worth, here is the link to the article that discusses .CENTER domains. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Super User IV

@ThycoticIT 

1) What is your domain

2) Just to confirm you are changing the name server and not adding hosts 

3) did you try a private browsing window??

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Yes, name servers, not zone records. This is for multiple domains.  See screenshot.  If you don't enter both hostname and IPs, you get an error that says you must enter the IPs.  I know how to look up IPs but as I stated in the original post, we shouldn't be specifying hostnames AND IPs for name servers.  It makes no sense whatsoever.  Who know which one is actually being used.  If GoDaddy wants the IPs, look them up in DNS.

Capture.PNG

The page seems to operate fine. Are you saying this could be a web server issue that requires clearing out cookies and cached files?

@ThycoticIT 

I just checked 2 domains in my account (.com and .org) and these were the screens I got in chrome....

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 2.52.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 2.53.06 PM.png

I know that when GoDaddy first rolled out the updated DNS interface there were some cookie / cache issues and using a private browser / different browser seemed to be a work around until the issue got resolved.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I just tried Chrome Incognito.  Still the same issue.  You can see that there's an IP address field that cannot be deleted (the trash can is grayed out).  If I try to leave it blank (2nd screenshot), I get the error.

a1.PNGa2.PNG

I went ahead and checked some additional domains and I DON'T have this problem. So it's somehow related to specific domains.  Based on what I found searching through the community, I'm not the only one with this issue (or "feature").

Hi @ThycoticIT,

While you have not specified the domain, it would appear (from mentioning .com and .org) that you may be using a CCTLD that has specific requirements from the Registry for it's nameservers. Please go to this link and click on the appropriate ending for this domain. The resulting help article may provide instruction as to the nameservers required and get you pointed in the right direction. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

Thanks for the reply. This is not a ccTLD. This specific domain is a .center domain which isn't on the list you provided.  Any insight into where/what the registry requirements are and why providing a hostname and IP is required would be helpful. Thank you.

Hi @ThycoticIT. Sorry for the delay in addressing this issue. It looks like this was due to an issue on our end, which was corrected a few months ago. If you're still having trouble, please connect with one of our customer care guides so they can take a closer look at the issue and report it to our advanced teams as necessary. 

For what it's worth, here is the link to the article that discusses .CENTER domains. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post