cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

"Your connection is not private"

Hey all,

Recently everyone I've sent to my website gets an error message that says "Your connection is not private, this website may be trying to steal information such as credit cards etc."

I'm not sure why it's been doing that but it is costing me business. Anyone know why this is happening and what I can do about it?

4 REPLIES 4
Super User III Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: "Your connection is not private"

This appears if there isn't an SSL properly installed, or if there's a reference using http:// in the code (like to an image).  Previously an SSL was only needed if the website collected information, but now Google and some others are pushing for every website to get SSL.

Here is a basic SSL checker.

https://www.godaddy.com/ssl-checker

You can post the URL if you need help tracking down a problem.

Super User III
Super User III

@bleaksounds 

This sounds like the error message that will appear with an invalid SSL certificate - what is your domain name?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks for the response. 

My website domain is www.bleaksounds.com

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@bleaksounds 

As I suspected & @Nate also said - this is misconfiguration with the SSL Certificate

This server could not prove that it is www.bleaksounds.com; its security certificate is from 000.beatstars.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

As you can see from the alert message above the certificate is configured with 000.beatstars.com. It appears your server is using AWS (Amazon) so you will need to look at your server configuration and how you have it setup there.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community