cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

GoDaddy drops free email plans from account

I have been with GoDaddy over 10 years. Last year I prepaid for hosting service until 2023. I have been using a few different emails with my domain through GoDaddy Workspace email.

March 1, 2020 GoDaddy is dropping the Workspace email function (POP). Of course, nobody at GoDaddy mentioned this over a year ago when I prepaid for the next several years. I believe all the existing functions as used over the last 10 years would remain. That is not true.

GoDaddy can drop and change anything within your hosting account without respect to your prepaid contract over the next several years. It seems acceptable to GoDaddy to sell you one product and offerings over the last several years and change it after you commit to it long term.

All of GoDaddy's rep's proudly boast their disclaimer that they reserve the right to change or delete any functions. Regardless if you paid many years for expected service and functions. In this example, they are dropping my email ability to send / receive emails using my domain extension. I have to pay for separate secure email service via Exchange after March 1, 2020. This additional amount is several hundred dollars per year for a few email addresses. Charges now exist for each email you want. On top of the prepaid monies I paid when it was combined. Now it is separate costs for email and web hosting. Never was I billed separately for email and hosting over the last 10 years.

I doubt I'm the only one that expects email service to be included with paid web hosting service as it has been sold since inception when I joined GoDaddy nearly a dozen years ago.

Lastly, the suggestion by GoDaddy rep's to use cPanel on your web host account instead is unsafe and unsecure. They feel that covers their obligation to continue delivering email function and does not breach the contract. Yet, users are at risk of exposing emails and/or disrupting their own website functionality as the two systems will share the same resource. This is not the case all prior years with GoDaddy as they maintained separate email workspace for users.

GoDaddy expects me to pay additional dollars per month for each email address after March 1, This seems unfair considering I already paid for the next several years under the pretense I would have the same services as delivered in past years.

I want out of my contract but GoDaddy refuses to grant any exception and instead is asking me to pay for emails or walk away from the several hundred dollars paid for upcoming hosting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @chrisryan,

Welcome to the Community.

GoDaddy is in the process of informing users about the decision to discontinue free email credits and are taking active steps to ensure they have a seamless upgrade process. You should have already received this notice (check your spam folder). They have a dedicated team ready to support the affected customers and are offering different options, including Office 365 AND Workspace Email, so that you don’t have to experience any email downtime. They’re also providing support and easy migration for existing customers who don’t wish to upgrade to a paid GoDaddy email service.

GoDaddy is standardizing their paid Workspace users on a superior email system. This new platform is more secure, stable, and can be synced across all devices, from mobile to desktop, offering a better overall experience for our customers. 

Thousands of GoDaddy customers have opted to use the cPanel email available. The agents will not mislead you and tell you that is is equal to the superior quality and features of the Office 365 plans. However, if you have a cPanel hosting plan, you may continue to use that setup for your emails and move any free email accounts to avoid losing your addresses. And yes, you can use your domain extension for any of the addresses created. Take note of the DNS changes required as noted at the bottom of this instruction guide.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @chrisryan,

Welcome to the Community.

GoDaddy is in the process of informing users about the decision to discontinue free email credits and are taking active steps to ensure they have a seamless upgrade process. You should have already received this notice (check your spam folder). They have a dedicated team ready to support the affected customers and are offering different options, including Office 365 AND Workspace Email, so that you don’t have to experience any email downtime. They’re also providing support and easy migration for existing customers who don’t wish to upgrade to a paid GoDaddy email service.

GoDaddy is standardizing their paid Workspace users on a superior email system. This new platform is more secure, stable, and can be synced across all devices, from mobile to desktop, offering a better overall experience for our customers. 

Thousands of GoDaddy customers have opted to use the cPanel email available. The agents will not mislead you and tell you that is is equal to the superior quality and features of the Office 365 plans. However, if you have a cPanel hosting plan, you may continue to use that setup for your emails and move any free email accounts to avoid losing your addresses. And yes, you can use your domain extension for any of the addresses created. Take note of the DNS changes required as noted at the bottom of this instruction guide.

View solution in original post

I received the email notice and wanted to be proactive to resolve potential loss of emails prior to 3/1/2020. Thus I contacted your team on 3 different occasions over this past week. Check you call logs as proof. In each instance, I received different level of knowledge and support. To the point, your rep's helped me create cPanel emails and then they realized nobody can have Workspace and cPanel emails configured at same time. NOW no emails are working as a result and emails have been lost in space this week. Thanks to your unprepared team (3 different calls). Your team is not as prepared as you claim in this transition. They realized it is not possible to configure cPanel prior to elimination of Workspace.

Bottom line and to be clear for all other legacy GoDaddy customers, the recommended solution by GoDaddy is to start paying for email accounts after 3/1. The solutions you mention Office 365 and Workspace will cost additional money. Period. This amount is new and additional on top of PREPAID HOSTING services which included Workspace email at no additional cost the last 10 years or so.

That is not fair. I along with many others will find out 3/1 they are locked in prepaid multi-year contracts with GoDaddy all while GoDaddy eliminates FREE Workspace email and instead wants each PREPAID customer to pay more per year going forward for emails not on cPanel.

GoDaddy reserves the right to change and drop any functions during our prepaid multi-year contracts. Contracts paid under the assumption things would continue the same. Not the case.

CAUTION to All GoDaddy customers wanting to pay many years in advance to get the discount.

There is no FREE secure and safe email option anymore other than unsecure cPanel. You have changed the original offerings sold to me over last several years. Now I am forced to pay more for Office365 or new improved Workspace emails or walk away from the hundreds of dollars prepaid for web hosting with FREE WORKSPACE email as done in past.

Hi @chrisryan,

None of the users in this forum have access to customer accounts in order to review call records or agent offers. You're welcome to migrate your email as noted in the previous reply. Yes, email is likely to add additional costs, as services from 10 years ago can no longer be provided without charge - and still provide the same service.

You will need to contact customer support for any assistance you need within your account. If at any time you're not happy with the resolution of the issue, you're welcome to ask for a supervisor at any time, and if one is available, they can assist you for further clarity.