cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Webmail bug if Subject = Hi

I've discovered that sending a message on Webmail with the subject line saying only "Hi" will go into your sent folder, but not be delivered to any of the recipients.  You will also not receive a Delivery Failure message.

Either of the 2 letters (Hi) can be upper or lower case and what's in the body of the message doesn't matter.

This same message sent on Outlook or an iPhone will be delivered to all recipients as expected.

Am I missing something or is this a bug in Webmail?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Webmail bug if Subject = Hi

Hi @billdam. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It's not a bug. Our spam filters look for messages that have suspicious content. Believe it or not, a subject line of just "Hi" is often used when people send spam or malicious emails. For this reason, it is not allowed through our mail filters. Sorry for any confusion. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Highlighted

@JesseW - That makes sense, but I would have expected those messages to either go into the recipient's Junk folder or the sender to have received a bounce (delivery failure) message.  Simply leaving my wife and her sister thinking their messages were delivered caused them assign me to fix the problem.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@billdam - I can definitely understand your point of view. My guess would be that this particular subject line is used a lot and would cause a drag on the system to send a rejection notice for each one received. Thanks for the feedback. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Highlighted

@JesseW- Why do you kill messages with "Hi" sent only from Webmail but not kill messages with "Hi" sent any other way, which Spammers would more likely use?

Also, simply killing those messages is not a very user-friendly thing for GoDaddy to do.  Tagging them as Junk would not put a big burden on your servers.