cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Certificate Not Being Applied

I purchased a Standard UCC SSL Certificate for up to 5 domains. All 5 are Wordpress domains hosted by GoDaddy. On GoDaddy, it says the certificate has been issued and there seems to be nothing wrong. I have used the plugin Really Simple SSL to set up the SSL on two of the sites, and both times it has resulted in a not secure warning. When I click on the warning, it shows me that the problem is an invalid certificate.

The certificate that it tells me is not trusted is not the certificate that I purchased. It says it is a self-signed root certificate that expired in 2019. The certificate that I purchased expires in 2022. I have checked all 5 domains with several SSL test tools, including whynopadlock and digicert.com, and each time it says that they have a self-signed certificate rather than the GoDaddy certificate that I purchased. On the sites where I have not attempted to use the Really Simple SSL plugin, clicking on the Not Secure icon doesn't show that there is a certificate at all. The person who first set these sites up for the company is no longer working here, so I don't know if these self-signed certificates were set up by him or if they're some kind of default feature, but either way, the certificate I purchased does not seem to have been applied to any of the domains.

I've looked up tutorials to see if I can install the correct certificate manually, but each one I've found has told me that Wordpress should have installed the certificate automatically, which doesn't seem to have happened.

I have reverted the two sites back to http by deactivating Really Simple SSL, and they no longer show any indication of an SSL certificate.

The main domain name is iwasinawreck.com, and the four Subject Alternative Names are nflplayersettlement.com, socialsecuritycorner.com, estuley.com, and tuveunchoque.com.

I've looked through a lot of different forums and FAQ pages but I haven't been able to find anybody who has had this problem. I'm not very experienced with things like this and I'm sure that this problem is entirely user error, and I really need some help. I hope I've provided enough information.

Again, I am very new to this, and any advice about what I've done wrong and how to fix it would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JoBro 

Ok so based on that I think you need to first add the certificate to the server it self - there should be a browse / upload button and you can upload the crt file then you can "install" it for the domain

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Super User IV

@JoBro 

The first thing I would do is in the SSL manager on the server itself is go through and delete any of the self signed certificates, then you should be able to "install" the certificate uploaded and activate it

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Would the SSL manager be on GoDaddy or on Wordpress?

@JoBro 

This would be in cPanel itself

I'm looking at my domains in cPanel, but I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to.

This is on the page "Manage Installed SSL Websites" in cPanel. Will clicking Uninstall delete the certificate as you advised, or will it do something I don't want?

cpanel.png

@JoBro 

If you scroll down (at the bottom) there should be a link that says return to SSL Manager - then click Certificates (should be the 3rd item) - I would delete any self signed certificates and also expired ones, then you can install the valid certificate fro teh domain and be good to go

ssl cpanel.pngIt doesn't show that there are any self-signed certificates here. The certificate it does show is the other UCC certificate we have, which works. Does this mean I can just install the valid certificate, as you said? And if so, how do I go about doing that?

@JoBro 

Just click the install link on the far right and then slick the domain in the dropbox and you  "should" be good to go

Just to clarify: we have two UCC SSL certificates for different sets of domains. One of them is working and the other one currently isn't. The second is the one I'm posting about, but the first is the one that cPanel is showing. I don't have any problems with the first. The second is not being displayed in cPanel. Do I still click that install link?

@JoBro 

Ok so based on that I think you need to first add the certificate to the server it self - there should be a browse / upload button and you can upload the crt file then you can "install" it for the domain

View solution in original post

That worked! I guess the problem was I didn't install it correctly in the first place. Thanks for all your help!