cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

EV SSL Certificate Renewal

I tried reaching GoDaddy Phone and Chat and found the executive is not having any proper answer.

Our EV SSL certificate is due for renewal by 22nd June 2020 & we made the payment for renewal on 15th May 2020.

We need to get clarity on below points,

1. In case if I upload the renewed EV SSL certificate on 1st June 2020, validity date will be from the date of certificate upload or 22nd June 2020?

2. Is there any downtime exists or not during the cutover from old to new SSL certificate upload?

3. Do we need to upload the new certificate on 21st June 2020 or we can do it in advance and the new SSL certificate in the queue will get attach from 22nd June 2020

Note: Domain hoasted in AWS
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@vijay6796 

If you have already renewed the certificate you can upload and start using it now. You don't need to wait is what I'm trying to say. The new certificate is valid already. 

If you wait until after the current certificate expires while you won't have downtime per-say you will have a certificate warning issue in the browser because it will have expired.

Personally I would upload it now to not have to worry about it

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

@marunmeera 

I am an end user as my signature states. That being said I've managed VPS / cPanel server for many years and been working with SSL certificates from many providers over the years.

There shouldn't be any warning because you don't delete the current certificate. You upload the new one and then point to the new one - I usually do this via cPanel, however if doing it via command line, there are some extra steps but generally you should not have any warnings during the update

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

7 REPLIES 7
Super User IV

@marunmeera 

While not 100% sure, I believe that when you renew a paid SSL certificate it is like renewing the domain that the new expiration date would be June 22 2021, the valid date would be from the day it was issued / keyed - that date so you can install the certificate before that date.

In regards to download, there really shouldn't be as you're effectively just replacing the a file on the server. The dates are embedded in the certificate so when you install the certificate on AWS it will replace the old certificate

The only thing that could have for a few minutes is if you have any issues with install someone could get a certificate mis-match warning in the browser.

@PL281 

If we wanted to upload the certificate the day before,
what time we wanted to perform that.
Because we are replacing the old certificate files with new certificate.

will the end user gets any error due to this?

@vijay6796 

The new certificate should be valid from the day of renewal / download so you should not have any issue.

@PL281 

No my confusion is like, on June 21st is going to expiry, probably by 23:59.
so when will i upload the new downloaded certificate file.
is it on June 21st morning or after June 21st 23:59.

Please suggest if you have any other alternative way.
customer is expecting zero-downtime for this renewal.

@vijay6796 

If you have already renewed the certificate you can upload and start using it now. You don't need to wait is what I'm trying to say. The new certificate is valid already. 

If you wait until after the current certificate expires while you won't have downtime per-say you will have a certificate warning issue in the browser because it will have expired.

Personally I would upload it now to not have to worry about it

Hi @PL281 

Thanks for your reply, are you from the GoDaddy team?

If we upload the new certificate in advance, will there be any certificate warning during the cutover from existing SSL certificate to the new certificate

@marunmeera 

I am an end user as my signature states. That being said I've managed VPS / cPanel server for many years and been working with SSL certificates from many providers over the years.

There shouldn't be any warning because you don't delete the current certificate. You upload the new one and then point to the new one - I usually do this via cPanel, however if doing it via command line, there are some extra steps but generally you should not have any warnings during the update