cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Extra pay for Malware Protection

I just found out that  protection against malware or virus is extra pay? Isn't this why we get a hosted service in the first place? So we dont have to worry about security as hosted service provides security.

The way customer service explained is it seems like we check in a hotel but security is not provided. And if you see us being robbed, you will inform us but will not protect us.

Why???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Manager

Hi @cjtuason. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! 

We do offer a paid malware/security product. This product is to help you protect your website content. The server itself is secured and monitored by GoDaddy. However, website content in and of itself can contain security flaws. Attackers exploit these flaws and gain access to your site content (not the server). These exploits are usually accessed in the same way that regular website content is accessed, so there isn't a way for us to screen them as they come in. That is where the additional website security comes in. Hopefully, that explains the situation a little better. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager

Hi @cjtuason. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! 

We do offer a paid malware/security product. This product is to help you protect your website content. The server itself is secured and monitored by GoDaddy. However, website content in and of itself can contain security flaws. Attackers exploit these flaws and gain access to your site content (not the server). These exploits are usually accessed in the same way that regular website content is accessed, so there isn't a way for us to screen them as they come in. That is where the additional website security comes in. Hopefully, that explains the situation a little better. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

Helper I

Yes, I agree it's annoying that you have to pay more money to get your files protected by Malware. If you've got Wordfence installed then I recommend trying that out as it gives some basic cover. The paid option has more features. Also, try to get your site running via a CDN such as CloudFlare. It'll try to protect it from attacks etc too.

If you want your website https enabled then you may also want to read my post on it:

http://bit.ly/2oM9KjG

Regards,

Jass

I agree with cjtuason,

I just paid GoDaddy to remove malware files that GoDaddy had flagged. The tech support guy said that GoDaddy is only responsible for malware on their server--but not on my website. But my website is on their server. Furthermore, my website is essentially a brochure site with the option to download some files. I'm not doing any sort of transaction or accepting information from the outside world. The support guy was vague and talked about the many, many mysterious ways in which malware can infect a website, but--as cjtuason says--it still seems that customers are being charged for GoDaddy's failure to protect their files from malware. Do I know that GoDaddy is using the best available technologies for protecting and cleaning up my files? What if I get another email from GoDaddy next week telling me my site has been infected again? Will I need to pay for that as well?  Until now, I have always been an enthusiastic GoDaddy customer, but I'm having serious doubts now. 

Community Manager

Hi @DKFarkas. I think I understand what you're trying to say. However, as I mentioned above, while GoDaddy protects the overall server environment, it doesn't secure the content that customers upload or generate. It is up to individual customers to monitor and manage their own site content. This is in line with our terms and agreements.

If our hosting team is reaching out to you regarding malware on your account, that's a good indication that there is a flaw or exploit in the code you're hosting. Once you get the content cleaned up, I'd suggest reading through the suggestions in this article to decrease the likelihood of another incident.