cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Purchased SSL, problem with validation

Hi,

Just recently purchased SSL Certification for my website. 

I following every step on the guide, for both the DNS and the HTML verification, but none was helpful. 

My domain is at Google Domains, and my hosting is at GoDaddy.

On google, I have the name server pointing to the domaincontrol at GoDaddy. 

So I started with the DNS verification.

I got the unique ID for verification from GoDaddy.

I then entered the TXT record with the unique ID as explained in the guide, I entered it here at GoDaddy under Domains -> Manage DNS

(I also added the DNS record on google, even though it shouldn't do anything there, but out of being desperate) 

I clicked on Validate Domain, yet I still get the error it was unable to validate. 

After about an hour of that, I tried to use the HTML upload file.

I created the folders as requested, and I uploaded the godaddy.html file with the unique ID. 

When I tried to access it from chrome I had a 404 error, however I noticed that I can access it using Microsoft Edge browser. 

I then clicked on validate, yet nothing.. 

It's been that way for a while now. 

I would appreciate any help. 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

With a certificate order, GoDaddy provides two "long numbers":

• order ID - which seems to have a constant length of 24 characters - this helps locating the order records
  • unique ID - this is a sting that you need to use for HTML/DNS validations - it should be longer, possibly 40 characters.

Make sure you use the latter for DNS TXT records and for the content of the godaddy.html file for HTTP validation.

Dan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Resolver III

Hi,

firstly - you have to do the validation for all domain names for which you requested the certificate.

you can also check the validation yourself - especially the HTML one - try to visit:

<yourdomain>/.well-known/pki-validation/godaddy.html  

your browser should show the unique ID. 

Dan

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net

Please read everything I wrote. 

I already did exactly what you said, yet no success. 

I have added the TXT with the unique ID at my DNS for the domain.

I created and uploaded the godaddy.html file with the unique ID. 

As I stated before, I managed to access it using Microsoft Edge, meaning the file is there and has the unique ID. (I couldn't access it using chrome, not sure if it means anything). 

No success. 

It should work in any web browser so yes, it is of relevance.

Can you access it with "http" only?  http://<yourdomain>/.well-known/pki-validation/godaddy.html ?

that could be an issue.

Thank you, 

I can't seems to access the godaddy.html file from chrome not with http also. 

Any idea what the problem is and how can I resolve it?

Thanks

After checking it again, it seems that I CAN access from chrome, I just needed to clear my cache on chrome.. 

So this is not the issue

With a certificate order, GoDaddy provides two "long numbers":

• order ID - which seems to have a constant length of 24 characters - this helps locating the order records
  • unique ID - this is a sting that you need to use for HTML/DNS validations - it should be longer, possibly 40 characters.

Make sure you use the latter for DNS TXT records and for the content of the godaddy.html file for HTTP validation.

Dan

View solution in original post