cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Wildcard SSL on exchange and sonicwall

Hi all,

I'm currently investigating a better VPN method for our users working from home so I'm in the process of setting up and testing our SonicWall SSL VPN service to see if it's viable

I'd like to use our GoDaddy wildcard SSL certificate on the SonicWall to secure the connection, however I've not before needed to use the certificate anywhere other than our Exchange 2016 server

Question is, I've already got a signed cert downloaded and installed on Exchange, am I able to take the same cer file and straight upload it onto the SonicWall as is? Or do I need to do a separate CSR from the SonicWall to generate it's own certificate?

If I need to do a new CSR then I've not got an issue with starting that, however I don't want a new CSR to affect in any way the current certificate installed on Exchange

EDIT: I guess it's worth mentioning as well that there's a likelihood that I'n need this request twice, as we have 2 firewalls (one on each main site) and so I'd like to have the ability to SSL VPN to either in the event that one is down 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well in case anyone else was wondering I managed to get my answers elsewhere to have this working - ended up being pretty simple:

Logged on to our EAC (you can do this on any server where the certificate is installed though)

Exported the certificate to a new pfx file, including setting a new password for the export

Upload the new pfx file onto the sonicwall and include the password set at export

Once that was done I was able to change the SSL VPN certificate from self signed to the GoDaddy wildcard, and now accessing the SSL VPN via external DNS name validates successfully against the wildcard certificate

All that will remain is to remember to reupload/renew the certificate file on the sonicwall when it comes time to renewing the certificate on our Exchange server 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Well in case anyone else was wondering I managed to get my answers elsewhere to have this working - ended up being pretty simple:

Logged on to our EAC (you can do this on any server where the certificate is installed though)

Exported the certificate to a new pfx file, including setting a new password for the export

Upload the new pfx file onto the sonicwall and include the password set at export

Once that was done I was able to change the SSL VPN certificate from self signed to the GoDaddy wildcard, and now accessing the SSL VPN via external DNS name validates successfully against the wildcard certificate

All that will remain is to remember to reupload/renew the certificate file on the sonicwall when it comes time to renewing the certificate on our Exchange server 

View solution in original post