cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iThemes Security is being flagged as malware

One of my clients recently got one of those  "Your site has been flagged for malware" messages.

The file being flagged was:

"public_html/wp-content/plugins/better-wp-security/core/lib/itsec-zxcvbn-php/matchers/ranked_frequency_list-passwords.json"

That is a file for iThemes Security. I'm highly doubting that this is a legitimate malware. Has anyone else gotten one of these? I seen someone on WordPress.org had a similar situation, they didn't mention the host but I'm guessing that it was GoDaddy and that GoDaddy is giving false positives for iThemes Security users?

5 REPLIES 5
Helper VI

@Jwiere03 Where do you see the alert?

Can you please share the URL of the site?

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo 🙂
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution 😄

@Jwiere03 Where do you see the alert? In your browser when you try to visit the site? In your GD dashboard? In a webscan?

It was in an email. I seen another client get a similar email telling them that their pdf downloads on their site were malware.

@Jwiere03 well, that is not clear. Where did the email came from?

Also, sucuri doesn't show it as having malware. You should disregard the notice. Probably is a false positive, since it's a json file containing a wordlist that is used by the plugin to compare passwords in the site that it's installed.

If you still want to check it, you can install another security plugin like Wordfence or Sucuri, and see what they say.

Hope it helps!