cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WordPress Goes HTTPS in 2017... What's That Mean For Me?

Hello,

Notification from WordPress: "Moving Toward SSL December 1, 2016

We’re at a turning point: 2017 is going to be the year that we’re going to see features in WordPress which require hosts to have HTTPS available. Just as JavaScript is a near necessity for smoother user experiences and more modern PHP versions are critical for performance, SSL just makes sense as the next hurdle […]"

As most of us know WordPress goes to HTTPS next year and I too believe it's one of the next moves, but I am curious what that means for me and my obligation to GoDaddy. Will GoDaddy be offering us standard ssl certificates with our domains or services? Or am I now being obligated to purchase ssl certificates for all my domains when WordPress makes this jump? 

I would like for a GoDaddy representative who is very familiar with GoDaddy's strategies about how they will handle the additional security and how they'll pass that onward to their clients. Thank you in advance for your answers. 

4 REPLIES 4
Product Team
Product Team

Re: WordPress Goes HTTPS in 2017... What's That Mean For Me?

Hi @BONZAII42 

HTTPS everywhere in addition to PHP 7 (mentioned at the bottom of that same post) are huge, necessary steps for WordPress to remain relevant as a CMS in coming years.  With GoDaddy's goal of being the best place to host WordPress this means significant changes for us as well.

As with most major changes, they don't happen overnight.  For example, WordPress supported PHP 7 over a year ago, yet the vast majority of hosts still don't offer PHP 7 by default and many still don't support it in any capacity.  WordPress' decision to force these changes in 2017 is a way to accelerate these improvements, which is great, but it will take time to adapt.

I'm happy to say we've been working on these improvements for a while (we've seen the writing on the wall), though we're not quite ready to announce our plans yet.  However, I can assure that we will take care of our customers and make them successful as the WordPress landscape continues to change for the better.

Thanks,
Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
Head of WordPress, GoDaddy

Gabe,

I appreciate this response from Go Daddy... too often I see threads here that linger with no response, and this gives us a certainty that Go Daddy is on this.

Now if we could just get all the HTTP 503 errors from the past few weeks fixed... but alas, that's another thread.

Thanks again.

I am just wondering why every developer tells me to switch to lavarel or something like that why would they say that? Any info or advice is appreciated!

Helper I
Helper I

I make mine  your words, and hope that all the issues that have been going  on managed wordpress can be solved very soon! (including the blacklisted IP where one of my sites is set and that is lasting for months without a solution affecting the innocent customers that are not infected )