• VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    agama
    Getting Started

Gen 4 VPS connection speed unacceptable

I have been trying to install modules into drupal websites on a Gen 4 VPS hosted in Singapore for two days. The download speed from the VPS appears ok. The upload speed to the VPS is unacceptable.

First I tried to install modules using drupal module install with a link to the drupal distribution via chrome from Melbourne Australia. Nothing but timeouts.

Then I tried to install module files using drupal module install with upload file via chrome from Melbourne Australia. Nothing but timeouts.

Next I used ssh to connect to the cpanel account for one of the websites hosted on the VPS and tried to use composer. After a 90 second timeout the error was "received 26017 bytes out of the expected 291435"

This problem has been ongoing for several months and I'm nearly at the end of my patience.

Godaddy refuse to acknowledge that there are upload problems to the VPS in Singapore when the drupal file hosts are in the USA. Connecting from Melbourne to the Singapore VPS hosting site is nearly impossible.

I'm going to request that the VPS be moved to a hosting site in the USA to see if this resolves the problem. If not, then it appears to be time to consider another hosting provider.

Godaddy, I know you think that VPS is not your problem, but the pipes into and out of the VPS are.

Only 30 minutes to go before I get through (hopefully) on a support call.

5 REPLIES 5
    agama
    Getting Started

well after a 40 minute wait, I got through to support only to be told that I needed to talk to someone in the server team and I would be transferred. Then I got a message saying I was calling outside office hours and the phone disconnected. Great, really great!

whilst waiting, I tried to install php-cli and php-get and to do a composer update from a repo in the USA only to be told that the repos (yes more than one) were not responding. checked that the firewalld was not turned on. Tried several repos in the USA and no connections possible.

Now, I'm open to suggestions as to what the problem is.

Last try to call support tomorrow before I look for another hosting provider.

agama
    Getting Started

had to rebuild the VPS and this permitted me to move it from the Singapore datacentre to a US datacentre. Now the connections don't drop out and I've been able consistently upload and download from cpanels on the VPS.

Godaddy should make a note not to put Australian customer sites into the Singapore datacentre. Also, I should have been able to move the entire VPS to the US without having to rebuild the VPS.

It appears that GoDaddy has started to support LetsEncrypt - though only because the latest cpanel/whm includes LetsEncrypt support. This is a great step forward that is saving time and money.

peterachutha
    Getting Started

I may not havethe answer you are looking for but I have been testing download speeds through Singapore and Australia for my site that is located in USA to download on my PC in Malaysia. Singapore, Hong Kong (China) & Australia were the slowest. I think because of the high traffic from these countries. Possible? The fastest was Texas to Canada - probably because of better lines. Even London to Malaysia was not as fast as Texas to Malaysia. Probably a congestion related issue.

Please do note that your ISP can cause problems too. I assume you have tried clearing your browser cache, restarting Windows (removes unnecessary programs) and powering off and on your modem. 

If all else fails, moving our server to USA may be the best option.

peterachutha
    Getting Started

I just remembered that I had one experience where nothing would go out of my server and in the end we found that the firewall was blocking output.

peterachutha
    Getting Started

I talked to tech support about my own requirements of migrating my WordPress site from a different hosting company  to VPS and they told me that WordPress would be very slow on VPS. Its best to use a shared hosting account for my WordPress site as that would be much faster. From there I would assume Drupal would see similar problems.