cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    robert20
    New

VPS CentOS disk quota filling up by itself, restart fixes it sometimes

I had VPS CentOS issues with quota for months, since the start.

I am at 44% in df command, but after a few days it goes up to 50, 60, 80, 100%.

My filesystem check with du -s * from root or /var/www only accounts for 40gb, but the system says I am using 100gb.

Restarting with shutdown -r now may or may not clean it up to get back to the real 44%. Either nothing happens with df (same 100% read) or it drops a little. Last time I had to do 2 restarts in a row to get from 100% to 44%. Other times even 10 times doesn't do that.

When it is at "100%", there may be 12MB left, but in 5 minutes it's down to 4MB left. 

Linux ip-....ip.secureserver.net 3.10.0-1127.19.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 25 17:23:54 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

There are no cron jobs of mine, no scripts that run and use temp resources and free them, this is some kind of a virtualization tool issue.

If left alone, the issue may fix itself within hours, or at least drop.

The only suspects I had were the log and error files, all within /var/www but they are minor, and when erased don't even effect the df percentage.

I called support and I get no help (can't talk to anyone technical) at all other than $80 fee offer to let a sysadmin to diagnose it. Which will start with a system restart, which will eventually fix it after a few restarts... done! $80 for nothing. Issue not resolved, it is going to happen in a few days, as it has for the past 2-3 months. So then I can pay that again and not get it resolved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@robert20 

I would do

cd /

then 

du -sh * this way it gives you size of each folder then you can drill down from there - I still believe it is a log file - but it seems odd that a reboot would clear it

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
    PL281
    Super User II

@robert20 

This sounds like you have a log file that is running away. The /var/www is the main root of the server - more than likely this is one of the cPanel accounts having the issue (I'm assuming you are running WHM / cPanel)

I would do a du -sh * on the /home directory

This will then tell you which cPanel account account has the largest amount of space

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

I am not using cPanel. All setup was done from command line, including Apache setup. Single account in /home.

System log/error files are too small from default logging to fill 60gb. And go away from a restart? That doesn't make sense. I erase the big ones during issues, no effect because they are too small. du -s in /var/www shows 40gb use then and always. du -s in / (root) only shows /var/www as main disk user at 40gb, all else is negligible.

Restarts usually fix it. No issue since last 2 restarts 12 hours ago, but it will be coming back again and again. It shows up every few days.

I suspect a Virtualization setup that is part of VPS, but I will never know because GoDaddy will not look into it, because I can't get past salesmen on the phone who refuse to even pass on a page of info to a sysadmin, which shows the unaccounted for 60gb between "du" and "df" when the issue happens. Until many people complain it's not considered an issue to spend time on.

@robert20 

I would do

cd /

then 

du -sh * this way it gives you size of each folder then you can drill down from there - I still believe it is a log file - but it seems odd that a reboot would clear it

View solution in original post