• VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    HLF-admin
    Getting Started

VPS Gen3 update

I observed that a Gen3 VPS can be updated to CentOS 7 by backing up all the server content, then performing a Destroy and Rebuild, then restoring from the backup. My backup was only server content, and was manually performed. But by creating a new account on the rebuilt server, and uploading the content again, it is possible to remain on the Gen3 server.

This information may be useful for someone who wants to retain their existing server, rather than upgrade to the pricier Gen4. I'm not sure when Gen3 servers will be forced to upgrade. I was told, among other things, that GoDaddy's plan was to retire the hardware, although this may be part of the marketing dialog to encourage upgrades.

I also observe that Gen4 runs an operating system that is EOL in 3 years. Is GoDaddy's plan to "encourage" migration to Gen5 servers at that time?

1 REPLY 1
    davisdre317
    Super User 2020

Hello @HLF-admin!

Thank you for sharing!

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
    Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***