• Website Design & Development
  • Website Design & Development

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Getting Started

Can I upload/write my own code on GoDaddy?

I'm having a bit of trouble navigating GoDaddy and I am wondering if there is some way to use my own code for a website.  That is, not use a template.  I can't seem to figure out where to do this, or if it is possible at all.  Any help or redirection would be great.  I've had a registered .ca here for over a year, but am wanting to step away from the templates offered by GoDaddy or WordPress, etc.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User IV

@stnkyrice 

If you purchase a cPanel or Plesk server (depending on if you are a Linux or Windows coder) - Then you can do your own coding. Also keep in mind with WordPress - you can code your own design layout and just use the backend as the content interface, or you can just code the entire site from the ground up

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
    Super User IV

@stnkyrice 

If you purchase a cPanel or Plesk server (depending on if you are a Linux or Windows coder) - Then you can do your own coding. Also keep in mind with WordPress - you can code your own design layout and just use the backend as the content interface, or you can just code the entire site from the ground up

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

View solution in original post

Thank you for the reply @PL281. That helps quite a bit.  I am looking to start a new website and wanted to find out if I can just simply write the code instead of picking a template.  It's been about nine years since I've written code for a website and I like the experience much more.  As well, I am used to a more simple framework for creating websites that my University offered.  I tried working with WordPress and it wasn't bad, but I'm just looking for a blank slate.  Like, typing code into a .txt file.   As well, I've found that most GoDaddy tutorials are outdated from how their website operates now.  I need someone to lead me through the process of starting a new account>registering my .com>show me exactly where I can code and upload to go live.  Just simple steps for my simple mind.  

I will start researching what cPanel and Plesk servers are.  Thank you!

@stnkyrice 

The general difference is cPanel = Linux and Plesk = Windows

I will tell you that while the HTML / CSS code itself is pretty much the same as 9 years ago, the style in how it is coded has changed - for example most sites are coded with DIVs - the width / heights / floats etc are then coded with CSS. The general rule of thumb is that you assign a class and then put the CSS into a stylesheet file.

Additionally in the CSS you would do media queries that only apply the CSS depending on the size of the screen so that it is responsive (Mobile Friendly)

Hopes this helps get you started.

Definitely helps, thank you.  I may reach out for help some time, I am sure I will need it.