cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper I

FTP error

Hi. I get the following error in Filezilla when trying to connect to the new ftp account I created. Whats going wrong?

Status: Connection attempt failed with "EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not known".
Error: Could not connect to server

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

2.png3.pngfile.pngUntitled.png

Also what is the default password for the ftp, I want to try one of the 2 accounts that come with the hosting. It gives a username but no password. Nevermind found the password and can now access alll folders. Thanks for all your help. 🙂

View solution in original post

@erik33 

1) You can get the default password from the GoDaddy dashboard for managing the cPanel account

2) I would try with the /  for the remote directory

3) Can you also post a screen capture of the cPanel FTP page

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

12 REPLIES 12
Super User IV

@erik33 

Are you sure you have ftp.YOURDOMAIN setup in your DNS zone??

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

What do you mean by Dns zone? Can you provide a link to it? Thanks.

@erik33 

I assume your domain is registered at GoDaddy if you go to https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/YOURDOMAIN.com/dns

(replacing yourdomain.com with your actual domain)

Then see if there is a record for FTP i'm guessing there isn't

You can add a CNAME for ftp pointing to @ with a TTL of custom / 600 or you can just use the domain name for the host in your FTP program so just yourdomain.com

Do you mean like this? 

cname.png

This didnt work still get the same error.

I tried just using my domain and it connected but not to the root folder or public html. Its a folder that has ftp quota inside and I cant connect to any other folders.

@erik33 

If you are not connecting with the main server user, then you need to check the settings when you created the FTP account, by default it is not set to have access to the root of the server - it creates its own folder unless you specifically tell it otherwise.

When I make a new ftp account the folder is set at /home/tmvwtvyfg8vh/ and cant be changed. 

@erik33 

Ok so when you connect via FTP you are in the root then - you would then have to switch to public_html

I can't access or see any other folders when I connect. Just the one that has the ftp quota file.

file.png

@erik33 

Could you post a screen capture of your FTP settings from cPanel as well as your FTP client - it sounds like you are ending up in public_ftp and not the root of the server

2.png3.pngfile.pngUntitled.png

Also what is the default password for the ftp, I want to try one of the 2 accounts that come with the hosting. It gives a username but no password. Nevermind found the password and can now access alll folders. Thanks for all your help. 🙂

@erik33 

1) You can get the default password from the GoDaddy dashboard for managing the cPanel account

2) I would try with the /  for the remote directory

3) Can you also post a screen capture of the cPanel FTP page