cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Filezilla SFTP Question

I've connected to my site via Filezilla using standard ftp protocol.  I would rather connect using sftp, but for some reason I keep getting this generic error and it will not let me connect.  Same error on Putty as well.  This is the error "Network error: Software caused connection abort".  I set up the standard ftp first and it works fine, but when setting up another connection for sftp in filezilla site manager it keeps getting the above error.   I've tried "key file" and "ask for password" to no avail. My SSH is enabled and I've created a public access key but still get the above error.  Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? 

Thanks in advance!

Tattoozz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution

Re: Filezilla SFTP Question

Hi Nate and thanks again for your persistence.  I figured out what it was finally.  I changed my ip address via a VPN and connected first time, bang!  My ip must be locked out on GoDaddy's end and when I get time I'll give them a call and have it released.  Thank you again for all of your suggestions.

Sincerely,

Todd Lemire

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

If you used your domain as host try the hosting IP address instead, or vise versa.  You can  try both with the sftp:// prefix as well. (using your domain and IP address)

yourdomain.com

sftp://yourdomain.com

sftp://123.456.78.90

Highlighted

Hi Nate,

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried all of the suggestions you mentioned and still getting the same error.  I have another sftp server I connect to in my Filezilla Site Manager that has no problem connecting. 

I think I may not be doing something incorrectly with the SSH Keys.  Once I couldn't connect with the keys I had generated I deleted both the public and private keys.  Please clarify for me whether or not I need a public or private key to connect via SFTP using Filezilla? 

My prior attempts to connect using the key did not work either. 

Any other suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Super User II

You don't need to setup keys.  Just make sure it is activated in the Hosting management Dashboard for the account

https://www.godaddy.com/help/enable-ssh-for-my-linux-hosting-account-16102

Highlighted

Thanks again Nate, and yes SSH is enabled.  Again, not sure what is going on.

I'm only trying to access my first "Special FTP Account" and have not created any others so only 2 "Special FTP Accounts" exist.  Can that one FTP account be accessed by both FTP and SFTP?  I did also try importing the cpanel configurations into my Filezilla Site Manager and the import went ok, but still have the same connection error. 

Thanks again for helping me out with this.  I'm just a bit on the OCD side and would rather connect via SFTP.  Any other suggestions?

Highlighted
Super User II

Yes, it should be the main FTP user that comes with the hosting account for SFTP (this should be the same as the cPanel Username in the SSH Access management modal).

I would delete the keys in cPanel and delete the site profile in Filezilla, turn off SSH and start again.  It really should be as easy as turning SSH on in the Hosting Dashboard and using the settings displayed in Filezilla.

Sometimes the alternate options for host from earlier work better than others.  It should auto-detect the port if left blank, but you can try putting that in too.  If you can't get anything to work I would also try resetting the password.

Highlighted

Hi again Nate,

Disabled and re enabled SSH, deleted keys, so no keys exist now.  Reset password and am still getting the "Error: Network error: Software caused connection abort" error. 

I don't know what else to change.  I've tried to connect on my MAC as well using Transmit and still can't connect via SFTP. 

I'm not sure what steps to take next?

Highlighted
Super User II

Try resetting your modem and router, then temporarily disable your firewall to see if you can connect.

If you still can not get in I would contact support to make sure it is okay on their end, and that your IP address isn't being blocked. (Google "what's my IP address").

https://www.godaddy.com/help/contact-us

Unfortunately it is a generic error for many things that can happen outside of the FTP client and server, but it could still be from your computer, network, or ISP.  So let me know how it goes, and post which router and firewall you're using if you need help troubleshooting them.

Highlighted
Solution

Hi Nate and thanks again for your persistence.  I figured out what it was finally.  I changed my ip address via a VPN and connected first time, bang!  My ip must be locked out on GoDaddy's end and when I get time I'll give them a call and have it released.  Thank you again for all of your suggestions.

Sincerely,

Todd Lemire

View solution in original post