cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro phone support hold times

I've been finding that the hold times for a Pro rep is quite long. Since this is designed as a priority option, I would expect my calls to be answered quicker. Quite often I'm on hold for several minutes before the initial contact. Thankfully I always make sure I call when I have plenty of time to wait and have my issue answered and resolved.

Kay Guenther
10 REPLIES 10
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Pro phone support hold times

With all due respect, @webdesigner4036, my initial thought after reading your post was "why is a 'Pro' user contacting support so often?"

I have to admit that, in the 6-7 years I've used GoDaddy for my hosting, I don't recall a single time I've had to call support.  98% of the questions I've run into over the years have been addressed in Google searches, and the rare remainder were addressed quickly in an email or live chat with support.

I use GoDaddy exclusively because they have so many fantastic tools built into their account management, which I've found to be somewhat unique in the hosting world.  With smaller hosting companies, I spend a whole lot of time on the phone with reps doing mundane things like setting up databases or getting subdomains pointed to the right location.  With GoDaddy, everything from updating A records, to setting up FTP accounts and databases, can all be done through utilities accessible through the account admin dashboard.

I'd start by evaluating if your questions are truly questions for GoDaddy support, or if they could be addressed by an experienced web developer or through a community forum (like this).  Just my thought.

Mike
Web Developer at BOLDelite.com

I really don't need you to evaluate my need to call support when when my clients' situations call for it. My questions have required expert help beyond what the tools provide and often have to be escalated to a higher level. Your response confirms my reason why I never post to or utilize communities as they only brings out everyone's personal opinions and judgments of others.
Kay Guenther
Community Manager
Community Manager

@webdesigner4036 wrote:

I've been finding that the hold times for a Pro rep is quite long. Since this is designed as a priority option, I would expect my calls to be answered quicker. Quite often I'm on hold for several minutes before the initial contact. Thankfully I always make sure I call when I have plenty of time to wait and have my issue answered and resolved.

Thanks for the feedback, @webdesigner4036. I'm moving this to the Pro Lounge so it appears alongside our other Pro posts.

~*~

Helper I
Helper I

I apologize if you felt I was passing judgement.  I felt it was a legitimate inquiry as to whether or not you're utilizing the proper resources as effectively as possible, and as they were intended.

I consider myself a pretty high level web developer, and have been building highly complex web applications from scratch for 15 years.  I also have issues that are above-average in complexity, yet, I still haven't found a need to utilize GoDaddy support.  My questions are oft answered via a quick search on the web.

I was simply suggesting that you evaluate the purpose for your calls, and consider whether you're truly reaching out to the best resources in getting a solution to your problem.  Your aversion to community support resources may be the very reason why you're having to contact support so much; there are fantastic community-oriented resources accessible via a quick Google search.  Fewer people contact support = shorter wait times.

Mike
Helper II

@BOLDelite - Your initial response came across as quite supercilious to me. And, although you offered sound (unsolicited) advice in your follow-up, the swaggering still comes through. 

~ Mark

P.S. Yes, it's often true that "it takes one to know one." I plead guilty. And I know that my intermittent arrogance originated from insecurity and inferiority. (HT: Alfred Adler)

Mark D Worthen PsyD
Clinical-Forensic Psychology
Helper I
Helper I

@mdwpsyd, noted, thanks.

For a bit of perspective, in my younger years I worked customer service for one of (if not the) largest cable companies in the country.  A daily occurrence went something like this (a real call):

"How can I help you?"

"The power is out and my tv isn't working"

"If your power is out, how do you know you're having problems with your cable?"
"Because the tv has a black screen"

"... maybe because your power is out?  And the tv is off?"

"Yes.  But my tv screen is still black"

"Of course it is... your power is out.  Your cable could be just fine, even though your power is out."

When you field dozens of calls like that in a day, you begin to realize that people often contact support for the wrong reasons.  What the lady in my example really needed was to be calling the power company, but by contacting her cable company she was just driving up the wait times for everyone with legitimate problems.

I've worked in a lot of development agencies and there's not usually much need to contact hosting support in a proper cPanel type hosting environment, if you're experienced with the tools available.  I was simply suggesting that maybe the questions the OP is trying to contact GoDaddy support about may just be better suited by someone with a little more experience using the available tools.  It's not GoDaddy's responsibility to walk me through the ins and outs of phpMyAdmin, for example.  I know that may not be the case here, but the suggestion that contacting support is a regular thing, somewhat supports that scenario.  Anyway... I digress.

Mike

This is a strange thread. webdesigner4036, a customer of GoDaddy, posted here that the hold time for Pro support is "quite" long. If I am GoDaddy, I "want" to know that and see how can I improve things for my customer. Whether the customer had exhausted all other means is immaterial. Customer support is supposed to "support" the customer and not "contact us only if you had truly exhausted all means".

My business is mostly on the backend. If my customer has a site problem and I know nothing has changed on the client side, you bet I will contact GoDaddy right away, as everything in my business is "if there is a problem, we want it fixed yesterday".

Helper V

@BOLDelite, you said "I felt it was a legitimate inquiry as to whether or not you're utilizing the proper resources as effectively as possible" but the problem is that you do not recognize that there are some totally valid reasons to contact GoDaddy.

A few days ago, after midnight, I noticed spam in the Announcements forum here. I called GoDaddy about that. I hope you are not going to say I should have tried to solve the problem myself.

Months ago, GoDaddy notified me that they are dropping Windows Classic plans and that need to migrate to a Windows Plesk plan. In the process, the zone file was not created properly. I was totally unable to fix that and it took a few calls to GoDaddy and a few weeks to resolve. I could have gotten the problem resolved quicker if I called GoDaddy more than I did but I tried to solve the problem myself.

I am a programmer. I want to use something called "Web Deploy" from Microsoft Visual Studio. Visual Studio is used be professionals to develop software such as Windows itself. As best as I can tell, GoDaddy does not have Web Deploy working properly. I tried to solve the problem myself but I am unable to.

Since you say you have developed complex web sites, my thought is that if you have not had a need to call GoDaddy, you are not using advanced features.

Another problem is that many of the GoDaddy articles are vague and many need to be revised.

You say you have "worked customer service for one of (if not the) largest cable companies in the country" then proceed to ignore that there are sometimes valid reasons to call for help. Was that truly your experience? Was there never ever any valid calls?

Your "legitimate inquiry" was not legitimate because it did not recognize the possibility that there could be valid reasons to call for help. Also, you do not work for GoDaddy, right? So it does not matter to you why people call them.

I already have to tools necessary complete my tasks. I am holding to talk about my bill. Since everyone answers the phone equally, I do not understand the long wait times, for sometimes incompetent dim wits.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @GreyMaynard,

Sorry to hear that you had a long wait time to talk with our support team! Did you get through? If so, was our team member able to help you with your account? Please let us know. Thanks!

Rachel