cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Wordpress web store built on subdomain asking for user name and password

Hello everyone. I have a main domain example.com on a host with Cpanel and I have a special script (dashboard) set on it that requires user name and password to log in so when I type example.com it pops a panel asking for user and password. 

Main reason I bought  that domain was to build a webstore so I finally had time to do it just to find out that I can't install Wordpress on my domain because this will bump out my script ( I did it so this is how I know). After research I found I can install Wordpress on sub domain and build the store so I did it. I created sub domain example.com/webstore and installed Wordpress and woocomerce and spent countless hours to built the web store and everything works good till I tried to access the store from different pc to find out that it asks for username and password. The same panel pops up and ask for ID AND PASSWORD.i guess when I built it I was logged in with the Wordpress username and password and I was accesing the webstore without any problems.  I noticed sometimes if I logged out of Wordpress and try to access the store from the same browser it works but if I log out and close the browser aNd  open a new one it asks for them . of course this can't work with the store since the buyers don't have ID AND PASS to acces it. I  am newbie in this and learned on the go and took me a lot of time. If  Anyone have an idea how to fix this issue please help. Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Wordpress web store built on subdomain asking for user name and password

@Ianchot

You clearly have a unique and custom setup and as you discovered cannot have two index.php files in the root.

Maybe contact GoDaddy Support who can "see" your setup, explain what you want to do to see what GD suggests?

Otherwise, it would be best to find a technology partner that can review your setup and make the appropriate recommendations.  😉

Judith
"If you think you dare not, you don’t.." ~ Napoleon Hill

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User I

@Ianchot

Don't know your hosting package or setup so I am surmising here...

Sounds like your script is protecting the entire root -- which is where the sub install of WordPress is correct?  If so, it is working at it should.

What you can do is move the install out of the sub into the root and simply use a Coming Soon plugin that blocks off viewing of the site until you are ready to drop the curtain.  No need for password protecting script and solves the issue for you!

HTH! 😉

Judith

Highlighted

HI Muse. Thank you for your  reply.

The script I have installed on the root is very expensive one that I paid developers to built and I need it to run my webstore. I have access to   the script through my root  example.com  and this is why I need password protection so no one else who type my main domain will access it. 

as u said I guess the whole root is protected with the password and I am assuming the  access to the webstore goes through the root since my webstore folder is public_html/webstore.

What are u suggesting to move the webstore to the root I am not sure is possible. I month ago I installed the wordpress by mistake on the root and lost the access to my script. my script and the wordpress have both index.php file so when I installed wordpress that index.php file took place of my script index file and I lost access. than I uninstalled the wordpress but I lost my script index file. luckily I had a back up and I was able to replace it and got access back and this is why I built my webstore on subdomain but I didn't know that to access the subdomain will have to go through the root password. 

Any other suggestions.

I was looking at addon domain. is the add on domain also accessible through the root or it is same as subdomain. 

I appreciate any suggestions from you or anyone else. thank you 

Highlighted
Super User I
Solution

@Ianchot

You clearly have a unique and custom setup and as you discovered cannot have two index.php files in the root.

Maybe contact GoDaddy Support who can "see" your setup, explain what you want to do to see what GD suggests?

Otherwise, it would be best to find a technology partner that can review your setup and make the appropriate recommendations.  😉

Judith

View solution in original post