About .so domains
Nic.so is the sponsor and Hexonet aka 1 Api GmbH is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .so extension that represents Republic of Somalia.
Who can register .so domains?
Anyone can register a .so domain.
- .so - Intended for Somalian businesses or individuals.
- .com.so - Intended for commercial entities.
- .net.so — Intended for network infrastructures, such as Internet Service Providers.
- .org.so — Intended for noncommercial entities.
Note: Due to registry complications, we have suspended all new .so registrations as of 06/09/2015. Renewals will still process normally, but will be limited to 1 year terms. Please note, the renewal process cannot be initiated until the expiration date
When registering a .so domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 3 - 63 Characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters or consecutive)
- Cannot use: Special Characters (e.g.,& and #)
- IDNs: Not supported
- Registration length: 1 year
- Renewal length: 1 year
- Your .so domain name renews on its expiration date. Auto-renewal is attempted on the domain name's expiration date. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal 5 days later and again 7 days after that.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it by the 12th day after the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Renew my expired domain for more information.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Supported
- Transfers between accounts may take up to 5 days to complete.
- Basic privacy protection: Supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Supported
- CashParking: Supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- Must use: 2-13 Nameservers
- Can use: IPv4
- Cannot use: IPv6, DNSSEC
RefundsFor details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms > Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
- Check out our most common domain articles to get started with your .so domain.