Archive files and directories
As your hosting account grows in size, the ability to compress and archive files assists in easier account maintenance and file storage. Additionally, by compressing items in this way, you can upload and download multiple files and directories through the File Manager. You can compress and archive files and directories using the File Manager located within the Control Panel of your hosting account.
To Archive Files and Directories
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Click Web Hosting.
- Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Manage.
- From the Tools section, click File Manager.
- Select the files and directories you want to archive.
You cannot archive some system-created directories, such as your Error Logs.
You can only archive up to 250MB of data at a time.
- From the More menu, click Archive.
- Enter the required information:
- Name — Enter a name for this archive file.
- Format — Select the archive type.
Zip (.zip) - This is used for Windows or Linux hosting accounts.
Tar GZip (tar.gz) - This is used for Linux hosting accounts.
- Location — Select between Download or Directory on server. If you select Directory on server, enter the name of a new or existing destination folder or click Browse to navigate to an existing directory into which you want to archive the selected items.
- Password protect (optional) — This field is only available for Zip archive compression and offers the option of password protecting your compressed archive file.
- Click OK.
Your archive file is compressed and saved in the selected destination directory.
For information on the extracting process, see Unzip files.