.au Launch Info
.au direct domains are now available to register. We know you may have questions. We are here to help.
.AU Phase Dates
- March 24, 2022: .AU opens to the public with Priority Phase for existing registrants.
- September 20, 2022: Priority Phase ends.
- October 3, 2022: Non-registered Priority Phase domains released for general registration.
Who is eligible for a .au domain?
To be eligible for a .au domain, you must have a current Australian presence.
- An Australian registered company
- An Australian Partnership or Sole Trader
- An owner of an Australian Registered Trademark
- An Australian registered charity
- An Australian registered political party
- A Trust where the trustee is an Australian citizen
- A foreign company licensed to trade in Australia
- A permanent Australian resident or citizen
When will .au domains become available for purchase?
auDA, the Australian Domain Administration, has released for purchase on March 24, 2022
Want to register a .au domain? Search for your domain today.
What happens when the Priority Phase ends?
On September 20, 2022 at 23:59 UTC, the Priority Phase ends. Any domain names that had priority will then be made available to the public on October 3, 2022 at 21:00 UTC. Prior to October 3, 2022, GoDaddy will continue to accept pre-registrations for Priority Phase domains that will be released.
Will current .com/.net/.org.au registrants have priority for the matching .au domain?
Yes, current registrants of a .com.au, .net.au, or .org.au will have priority to purchase a .au domain based on criteria set forth by auDA.
Check your current priority status by using auDA's Priority Status Tool.
- The registrant of a current .com.au, .net.au, or .org.au domain that was registered prior to February 4, 2018 will have Priority 1 status for the matching .au domain.
- The registrant of a current .com.au, .net.au, or .org.au domain that was registered between February 4, 2018 and March 24, 2022 will have Priority 2 status for the matching .au domain.
- In the event that there are multiple registrants with Priority 1 status, the registrants will be required to decide which is eligible for the .au domain.
- In the event that there are multiple registrants with Priority 2 status, the earliest registration date will prevail should there be no Priority 1 registrants.
What is next if I have priority status?
All priority phases will run from March 24, 2022 to September 20, 2022. To take advantage of either Priority 1 or 2 status, you must apply for the .au domain during this time period.
Registering your .AU direct through GoDaddy is simple. If you already have your .com.au, .net.au or .org.au domain registered with us prior to March 24, 2022 then we will automatically apply your Priority Contact ID and Priority AuthInfo during the checkout process. If you are asked to provide this information during checkout then this can be obtained from the registry at http://priority.auda.org.au/ .
- If multiple Priority 1 status registrants exist, then it will be up to the registrants to decide which party will register the .AU domain. If consensus cannot be met the domain will remain unregistered.
- If a Priority 1 status registrant fails to apply for the .au domain, registration will be awarded to the eligible Priority 2 registrant if one exists.
Be prepared for your .au domain to become available.
- Review your current domain's contact information to ensure that everything is current and accurate.
- Check the Whois to ensure the eligibility info (ie. ABN, ACN, etc) listed on your domain is current and accurate.
- If required, you may update your domain contact information within your account. To update the registrant eligibility information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
External resources for .AU domain.
- Tool for obtaining Priority Token (Priority contact ID and Priority AuthInfo), also for declining to apply.
- Tool to check the status of .AU direct applications and any contention registrations.
- Want to register a .au domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .com.au domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .net.au domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .org.au domain? Search for your domain today.
- Check out our most common domain articles to get started with your .au domain.