Change comment approval settings in WordPress
Enable options for comment approval in WordPress to ensure that only authorized comments appear on your site.
- Sign in to WordPress.
- On the left-side menu, select Settings > Discussion.
- In the Before a comment appears section, select the checkbox next to each of the following options to enable them:
- Comment must be manually approved.
- Comment author must have a previously approved comment.
- (Optional) If you want to be notified whenever you need to approve or delete the comment, in the Email me whenever section, select the box next to A comment is held for moderation.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Save Changes.
When enabled, these options will prevent spammers from leaving unauthorized comments on your site.
- Change who can comment on my WordPress site
- Set up a comment blocklist in WordPress
- Change the number of links allowed in a WordPress comment
- If you don't want to deal with spam comments yourself, our WordPress Premium Support team can do that for you.