Forward my GoDaddy domain
Forward your domain registered with GoDaddy to send visitors to a different page when they visit your domain. Forwarding is useful when you've already built a website elsewhere, or if you want to connect your domain to a social media page.
- Log in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select your domain to access the Domain Settings page.
- Select Manage DNS under Additional Settings.
- Under Forwarding, select Add domain next to Domain or Subdomain. If you select a subdomain, enter the subdomain (maximum of 63 characters) in the Subdomain field.
- Choose http:// or https:// from the dropdown menu for the destination URL your domain will forward to.
Note: This field is specific to the destination URL only. The domain being forwarded will not be SSL enabled or forward over https, as that functionality is not currently supported. You may be able to set up https–enabled forwarding through your hosting platform.
- Enter the forwarding address in the Destination URL field. This is where we'll send visitors when they type your domain in their browser's address bar.
- First and last characters must be a number or letter
- Periods (.) are supported
- Maximum of 1000 characters
- Consecutive periods (…) are not supported
- Underscores (_) are not supported
- Select your Forward type, either Permanent (301) or Temporary (302).
- (Optional) Select Forward with masking and enter your masking details.
- Title: A short phrase (maximum 80 characters) that displays on the browser tab and in search results.
- Description: A short description (maximum of 150 characters) of your website to display in search engine results.
- Keywords: A list of keywords (maximum of 500 characters) that describes the content and purpose of your website.
- Select Save. We'll automatically update your domain to GoDaddy nameservers if they aren't with us.
Most DNS updates take effect within an hour, but could take up to 48 hours to update globally.
- If you want the www version of your domain name to forward as well, make sure your www CNAME is pointing to @.
- Adding a forward will apply a template to your DNS and lock your @ A record. If you need to change that A record, you'll need to delete forwarding first.
- Not all websites can be masked and may show an error or blank white screen. Switch to Forward only or contact your host about allowing masking if your masked domain isn't functioning as expected.
- Keep your domain active and avoid expiration by turning on auto renew.