Get an SSL certificate
What is it?
With normal HTTP website traffic, everyone else on the internet could potentially see everything your site’s visitors are doing. When you have an SSL certificate to encrypt your site’s traffic and there's a little lock icon next to your URL in the browser, your visitors can see your site perfectly but anyone eavesdropping sees a jumbled mess.
Why do I need it?
- Visitors feel safe knowing that what they are viewing and any personal information they share with your site cannot be seen by others.
- Laws that protect personal information and most ecommerce payment companies require SSL encryption.
- You don’t want your visitors hurt because their personal information was stolen during their visit to your site.
- It can help with SEO.
- If your SSL isn’t installed correctly, browsers will display a warning that your site cannot be trusted and stop people from visiting your site.
What do I need to do?
Buying an SSL certificate is easy but installing one on your own can be challenging. Take a look at the resources available for your site’s hosting.
Good job! You're already protecting yourself and your visitors. Your site has an SSL certificate and we manage it for you.
You can purchase an SSL certificate and install it yourself or purchase a managed SSL Service.
If you do it on your own, you need to:
- Go through the process of requesting, verifying, downloading, installing, redirecting HTTP traffic, and checking your SSL certificate installation.
- Troubleshoot any issues that come up.
- Remember every year that you have to renew the certificate and go through the installation process again.
If you decide to do it on your own, or you have purchased your SSL from another company, take a look at Request my SSL certificate and learn how to install it (if you're new to SSLs, start here).