Install a WordPress theme with FTP
You may need to install a WordPress theme through File Transfer Protocol (FTP). This option is useful for large or custom themes. These steps describe installation with FileZilla, but you can use any FTP app to upload a WordPress theme.
- Download the theme .zip file.
- Connect to your hosting with FTP.
- In the Remote site section, find the folder with your WordPress site.
- Go to the /wp-content/themes folder.
- In the Local site section, find the theme .zip file on your local computer.
- Drag and drop the theme file from the Local site section to the Remote site section.
- Unzip the theme file.
Note: If you can't unzip the file on your hosting account, you need to unzip the file on your local computer and then upload the unzipped folder of files.
You have now installed your new WordPress theme.
- After you install a theme, activate it from within WordPress.
- Install a theme from the WordPress repository
- Change my WordPress theme
- Install a WordPress plugin with FTP
- If you don't want to install a theme yourself, our WordPress Premium Support team can do that for you.