Legacy Gen 4 VPS platform end of support
One or more of your Gen 4 VPS servers is running on a legacy platform that will be retired near the end of 2023.To ensure the highest level of security and performance for your server, all Gen 4 servers on this legacy platform will need to be migrated and upgraded to Optimized Hosting.
Select a question to see its answer:
- Is my server on the legacy platform?
- What should I do next?
- What if I don’t proactively migrate?
- How will the automated migration work?
- What will change after the automated migration?
- What if GoDaddy is unable to automatically migrate my server?
Is my server on the legacy platform?
You can find out if your server is on the legacy platform by checking a notification in your messaging center in your server’s dashboard.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy product page.
- In your My Products page, select Servers.
- Next to the Gen 4 server you want to use, select Manage.
- Under Message Center, look for the notification.
What should I do next?
We strongly recommend you take this opportunity to proactively migrate yourself to a new server, which will have the latest hardware. Proactive migration allows you to move on your own schedule. We realize this may be an inconvenience, and to help with this effort we are offering a one month free coupon for a new server as you self-migrate. Contact our GoDaddy Guides to see if you qualify.
What if I don’t proactively migrate?
If you choose not to self-migrate, we'll automatically migrate your server to Optimized Hosting. Migrations are expected to begin in August 2023 and run through the year. You'll receive an email with your migration date at least five days in advance.
How will the automated migration work?
Once the migration begins, an email will be sent to the address in your Contact Preferences, and a banner will appear in your server dashboard. Your server dashboard will be inaccessible during the migration. The downtime will depend on the size of your server and could take multiple hours. You'll be informed by email once the migration is complete.
What will change after an automated migration?
- Server Backups: Automated backups will change from one weekly backup to seven days of backups. Backups that were in your legacy hosting dashboard before the migration will no longer be available.
- Operating System (OS): Your current operating system will continue running after the automated migration. After a server rebuild, only supported operating systems will be available.
- Gen 4 Linux: Ubuntu 20.04, CentOS 7, Alma Linux 8, or Alma Linux 9.
- Gen 4 Windows: Windows Server 2019 or 2022.
- Data center: If your server is hosted in our US-East data center, it will be migrated to our US-West data center.
- IP addresses: There will be no changes to your IP addresses for your server.
- Price: There will be no change in price for your server.
- Monitoring: Domains will need to be re-added, and logged metrics prior to migration will no longer be available.
What if GoDaddy is unable to automatically migrate my server?
Due to the complexity involved with a migration, we cannot guarantee all automated migration attempts will be successful. Our migration relies on agent applications running on your server for certain operations to work (nydus-ex and nydus-ex-api). If a Nydus warning is present in your server dashboard, contact our GoDaddy Guides to address this as soon as possible.
If an automated migration is unsuccessful, we may make additional attempts. If we eventually determine that an automated migration is not possible on your server, GoDaddy will inform you. You'll then have 30 days to manually self-migrate your server before it shuts down. You can contact our GoDaddy Guides for a one month free coupon for a new server to help you self-migrate.
- Migrate a cPanel account to my server using cPanel and WHM.
- Go to Plesk for information on migrating via the Plesk Interface.