Troubleshoot and fix missing WordPress images
When all or some of your images are no longer visible, you have a permissions problem with those files or folders. You can use the steps below to diagnose and fix permission problems.
Checking for permissions issues
- You can test to see if an image has permissions problems or is missing by going to the URL of the image in your browser.
- If you get an error trying to get to the image, it is either missing or has incorrect permissions.
- Before checking permissions, it's best to verify the file exists first. You can find the URL to an image from within the Media Library.
- Connect to your hosting using FTP.
- You can browse to the /wp-content folders.
- Confirm the permissions are correct for the /wp-content directory.
- If the /wp-content folder or the files within do not have read or web visible permissions, they won't be visible and you'll need to update them.
Note: For Windows accounts, you can only manage folder permissions.
- If setting permissions didn't make your images viewable or the image wasn't present in the folder, you should upload the image again and add it back to the page.
- Proceed to Database find and replace if you have recently changed your domain.