Update WordPress with FTP
If you can't sign in your WordPress dashboard, you can update WordPress to its latest version through FTP. You can use any FTP app, but we recommend FileZilla.
Warning: You should always make a backup of your site before updating.
Note: If your site is on Managed WordPress hosting, it will always have the latest version of WordPress, so you won't be able to change versions manually.
- Download the latest version of WordPress to your local computer.
- Unzip the file on Windows or macOS.
- Connect to your hosting with FTP.
- In the Remote site section of FileZilla, find the folder with your WordPress site.
- In the Local site section of FileZilla, find the folder with the unzipped latest version of WordPress on your local computer.
- In the Local site section of FileZilla, enter the folder with the latest version of WordPress and then enter the wordpress folder.
- Drag and drop all files and folders from the Local site section to the Remote site section.
- If prompted, select Overwrite and Apply to current queue only and then select OK.
- Once the upload is complete, sign in to WordPress.
- If prompted, select Update WordPress Database.
- Select Continue.
Your WordPress is now updated to the latest version.
- If you can access your WordPress dashboard, you can update WordPress there.
- Update a WordPress plugin with FTP
- Update a WordPress theme with FTP